Thorn Thermocouple problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for reading! I have an old Thorn 30/50b bolier that uses the Thermocouple type t99-700/I I have changed this about 3 times over the past 5 yrs. Yesterday my pilot light went out and refused to stay lit. So i changed today the thermocouple as before but this time refuses to stay lit? In the past when replaced this would light 1st time.
Also 1 more point is that i noticed that one of the two wire's which join the couple in the cntr was only just attached so i resoldered this but still no luck. Can anybody else point me in the right direction. Other than replace the whole thing?

Many Thanks
Craig

Sponsored Links
Go to CORGI website, enter your postcode and look for heating ingineer. You should get a few in your area who shoul be able to repair your boiler. If they have (generally) a smaller Corgi number, they will have been registered for longer.

My number is 95,xxx, I think numbers given out now are 250,xxx or similar.

thanks for your reply... I take it that it could be something more than changing the thermocouple? These things tend to happen when cold spells are preditcted.

regards
Craig

If the flame doesn't reach the thermocouple you may as well not have a thermocouple!
Seeing as you have already had the cover off blow around the pilot burner with an airduster or even a McDonalds straw.
I am assuming its an apollo. The pilot burners go on these and I usually renew the pilot injector while I am at it. Dont do the latter yourself leave it to a corgi.

Sponsored Links
The 2 wires in the centre are attached to an overheat stat these go and this will cause your pilot not to stay lit. When you put case back on makesure seal on back panel is properly located and the front case fits square onto this

Hi i have dusted arround the pilot housing but makes no difference :confused: It is an apollo your right. Can i just clarify a few things;

1.The pilot injector is this the actual part that the two flames come out of, is this the part with the sleeve that you would normally change as well?

2.The round part that the two small grey wires go to, i take it this is what people are refering to as the "interrupter" would this course an issue if not soldered well enough, would this not allow the valve to stay open?

3. Could this be a possible at fault itself and not the wire connections?

thanks
Craig

Ok thanks i think our posts crossed.
Just so you know i did also replace some of the seal on the one corner as this was damaged. I also had to replace this last time & i am sure as i can be with regards to the housing sitting square

The overheat stat, could i find a replacement off the shelf as this is mereley a few wires and two small screw's. And i would like to think that from what you say that the signal has not been sent to the valve?

Craig

PTS or HRP will have them in stock or avialable next day. Should be a few of them in Brum but not open till monday

gasman thanks for that! got one 1/2 mile from where i live so i'll hopfully get this bolier working monday.

Hi again still no luck with firing this bolier back up. I have now changed the overheat stat and bought another thermocouple just incase i had a faulty one also replaced the flame sleave the part with the two small holes in. But none of this worked at all. Can anyone give me any more clues as to how to get it back up and running again.
Oh also the two thermocouples i tried both glow very nicely and left for atleast 30 seconds it doesn't even fire up and go out there's nothing firing at all
Much appreciated
Craig

Hi again still no luck with firing this bolier back up. I have now changed the overheat stat and bought another thermocouple just incase i had a faulty one also replaced the flame sleave the part with the two small holes in. But none of this worked at all. Can anyone give me any more clues as to how to get it back up and running again.
Oh also the two thermocouples i tried both glow very nicely and left for atleast 30 seconds it doesn't even fire up and go out there's nothing firing at all
Much appreciated
Craig

You have already beed advised to find a reliable and experienced CORGI engineer.

Many of the things you have been doing are on gas or safety devices which you are obviously not technically compent to work on.

I have no idea whats wrong with your boiler but hopefully a good CORGI will!

CORGI numbers are bnow being issued over 300,xxx !!!

I find that new entrants with less that 220,xxx have little knowledge unless they previously worked for an employer.

Many of the newly registered in london originate from third world countries. Last nupti came from Etria! But he had been in the UK for some time but still could not diagnose a seized pump!!! Instead saying its the PCB !!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back