Those infernal motorised scooters!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, we can't swear now, can we?

Was run over by one today, ridden by a 13 yo and her 6 yo brother. When I complained, they both told me to f.o. Now I'm not a snob, but I didn't think kids in Bramhall of this age were prone to profanities. I reminded the older child that these contraptions are not street legal, something which is made clear on the packaging/ instructions, and which the (irresponsible) parents (and the kids come to that) choose to ignore.

I told her that in the eyes of the police, she was riding a machine illegally on a public highway, a machine which (according to GMP) requires tax, MOT, number plates, the rider to wear a helmet and have insurance and be of a minimum age. In short, the same rules apply to these machines as would a moped.

Anyhow, swearing at me was extremely short-sighted, as I also have a six yo in that school, and know the younger kid, so I shall be contacting his parents, his form teacher, the head and the PTA.....

Anybody else had grief with these and their riders?

Sponsored Links
Yeah they're all over the place. The parents are total dipsticks. A few need making an example of. What they don't realise is if they are punished by the courts, getting insurance when they ARE old enough will be very expensive.

few moth ago i was workin in a shop on a busy high street. we were standing out front havin a break and some kid was racing up an down on a motorbike. very large, looked like something racers would use. anyway, form the sound of it, it was powered by a little moped engine and for him to get to 30 he had to really rev the engine. people were laughin at him for it!

there were also some charvs drivin up and down in a car. you know, spoiler, low bodywork, tinted windows and loud music.

i think he should concentrate more on the drivin. day 1 he had the back end smashed in. probably slammed the brakes on.

day 2: passenger door had been crashed into

Doesn't TLC sell the electric scooters? They certainly used to, and had the suggestion they would be great presents for children :LOL:

Now, our feelings about these is mainly because they are a stupid idea: give a motorised vehicle capable of causing injury to a child who is still in the infants.

However, in my case at least, I reckon about 10% of it is because I'm bitter that we didn't have anything that cool when I was a kid. And that my parents are too intelligent to have bought me one if there were. :LOL:

What about this instead? It's even got a gun!

Sponsored Links
Never mind the kids some of the old dears on their motorised scooters are dangerous and seem to ignore the fact you are on the pavement with them :p

There was a case in Newcastle where some biddy nearly ran some people over as it sped out of control down a hill. She was shreaking "me brakes have failed", fortunately so didn't hit anyone.

However, on examination it was found there was nothing wrong with it.

Apparently a lot of the problems are caused because people aren't trained how to use them properly.

And let's face it: there is a certain proportion of the scooter users who are just lazy. I'm sorry that isn't politically correct, but honestly: if someone is so fat they can't walk very far, DON'T GIVE THEM A DEVICE THAT MEANS THEY DON'T NEED TO WALK ANYMORE!!! Make them do some ruddy exercise!

Obviously an 80-year-old can't help it that they won't be running any marathons. But when I see a big fatty in her 20s park one outside the chipshop and walk in, I can't help but wonder if she really needs it. Put down the pie, step away from the bucket of chips.

Someone told me that Disneyland hires them out to people too fat/lazy to walk!

Here's a tip I was told. I've tried it and it worked!

If you go to a theme park in the US, get there when it opens. "Simple" you might think... but here comes the clever part. Walk straight over to the opposite end from the gate. Most Americans won't walk that far in one go, so the rides are almost empty for a while up at that end. Means you can get more rides in!

Mobility scooters are not permitted to be used by able bodied people except for testing.

It seems there are three speeds, 4, 8, and 16 MPH and the rules as to tax, insurance, and where they can be used changes dependent on max speed.

Pavements limited to 4 MPH, and I have stood in front of my mother to stop her hitting others and it did me no harm.

However some have the option to change the max speed, and even if set to 4 MPH, they are much heavier. I am uncertain as to if the switch can be accessed from driving seat.

As to children, I have seen them in miniature cars electric powered some with parental control and some without which go around 3 MPH, they were no problem where used, but technically illegal on public places.

They are too small to be driven by anyone who could legally use them.

But blind eyes have been turned, however the scooter (real two wheel type not moblity) has resulted in police cracking down on all.

To be legal they need all wheel brakes, so most even if owned by hire companies would not comply, and 4 MPH restriction on pavement.

Also over 4 MPH need to be capable of being propelled by pedals same as e-bike. It seems even non electric needs two brakes, so the one I use to use also not legal.

I know from using a non electric the wheels were too small, and over 4 MPH dangerous for the rider.

The problem is getting a device which does comply, with e-bike twist grip allowed up to 4 MPH, called walk assist, but not after, but at least with my e-bike no option of setting it up to do that.

To turn throttle off means vulnerable at junctions as motor slow to kick in, and heavy bike, but with it on technically not legal.

There is nothing to stop sale of illegal to use devices, they don't even need to put a warning to say only use where public has no access.

As to use by Blue Badge holders that's a very grey area.

I am not sure about if they should be allowed, but the should have warning on them to say how they can be used.

Sponsored Links
Back