Thoughts from builders - would you be OK with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was hoping to get the thoughts of professional builders on this...

A house I'm hoping to buy currently has a storm porch with a roof and one side has a full height brick wall - see pic at end of post.

I'd like to get an enclosed porch built, hopefully using the existing roof and wall. I can see that a new upvc door could easily be £500+

As a builder, would you entertain me supplying a second hand door (and frame) to cut back on material costs? Happy to pay the going rate for the building part of the job so not looking to do it on the cheap in that sense but it seems madness to pay £500+ for a door when I could probably get a second hand door with frame for £50 from eBay!

If it's something you would allow, any rough idea on the overall cost?

Thanks in advance for any input

4ui1hh.jpg

Sponsored Links
It should not be a problem, unless you buy some rickety old piece of crap and expect the builders to sort it out.

Any messing about or trying to get twists out of your bargain frame, or if the door don't close afterwards, will have to be paid for in the builders time.

But if you come across as someone out to cut costs and buy cheap, then any good builder with a bit of sense will not be coming back or even quoting

But if you come across as someone out to cut costs and buy cheap, then any good builder with a bit of sense will not be coming back or even quoting

Thanks woody, that's what I was concerned about - I was wondering whether builders would even come out to quote if I mentioned using a second hand door/frame! Like I said I'm more than happy to pay the going rate for the actual work, it just seemed a bit of a no brainer with the door situation.

Sponsored Links
All you really need to say is "I'll supply a [size] timber/plastic door and frame".

Then just make sure that it's in good order and can be built in.

I'd also look for a small window for the side!

And bear in mind that you have set depth there out from the house, so make sure the door can open inwards in the space available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back