Concrete or steel lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hoping for some advice on whether I need a concrete lintel or steel on an external cavity wall. I’m going to be building a porch on the front of our house. It’s a traditional semi detached with an arched storm porch and front door set back. I will need this knocking out to open it up for the new porch. Speaking to a builder who has done an identical one to what I want around the corner he said he used concrete lintels which I was surprised about as I thought you would need RSJ. The opening will be 2150 mm so would need the lintels to be 2450 mm as I understand it. Can anybody tell me if this guy is right saying concrete will suffice ? Bear in mind it is right on the corner of the house as well. Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• 600A29BE-1FC5-4B8C-8A2A-044F77C1FEFD.jpeg
    600A29BE-1FC5-4B8C-8A2A-044F77C1FEFD.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
If it's of any use, the engineer has asked for concrete lintels (100x140) on a cavity wall which is flanked by an extension, thereby not visible. As I understand it, if it is not visible then you can (should?) use concrete.

It seems like this will need building regulation approval, in which case the inspector will either accept or refuse the builder's suggestion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I guess I’ll speak to the building inspector and if he says it’s fine then I’ve nothing to worry about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back