Thoughts on media streamers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have plenty o'stuff on a NAS drive - want to enable the other half to watch what she fancies on the telly. Its not a smart telly.

Currently using a Sony bluray player as a streamer which is OK but it involves a lot of remotes and button presses to get there, which she is not happy with.

Short of switching wives, can you offer a suggestion for a "simple" system (ie simple to use) which, and I quote, "just works"......

The WDLive box claims to play just about anything, but there are lots that say that.

Sponsored Links
I use one of the Android MX TV boxes. It reads from the house NAS (wired), and local USB storage too (useful for holidays) and can also hook in to wireless networks. I use XBMC on it to play my films and TV shows. Can be controlled by smartphone (iOS/Android) but also comes with an old school reote control too. £50... pretty much ready to go out the box, just gotta point it at the network shares.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back