Thoughts on woodgrain pvcu windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a 1930s semi in NW London. Builders would normally fit standard white PVCu windows, but have quoted me 5k (incl vat) extra for white woodgrain effect. By comparison, I think their cost for standard PVCu windows and doors is about 15-20k max for my house.

I've heard that woodgrain-effect windows can scratch more easily than standard PVCu. Is that correct? Otherwise, all things equal, whilst I think they would look a lot nicer than standard (shiny) white plastic, 5k is a fair bit of money and i'm trying to decide whether they will add value.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the house. White plastic Windows are what they are. Don't look great on some properties but will keep the weather out. All depends what you want to pay. Like white Windows would not go in this house

White woodgrain is a premium and ridiculously expensive in my opinion. Unless you are standing about a meter away you wont notice it anyway.
Colored woodgrain looks much better (on the right house) and is cheaper too.

This is how it looked before the renovations started. When finished, it had better look a hell of a lot nicer lol. The intention is to have light-coloured rendered walls (instead of brick), and Marley/Redland natural red (roof, skirting and canopy) tiles.

Attachments

• 52QW- existing front and side elevation.jpg
    52QW- existing front and side elevation.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
As you say anything would look better there lol.
Look into the design options for the windows (where you have openers, Transoms and mullions etc) and also consider having Dummy sash's, Maybe even flush sash windows.

Take a look up and down the street at other houses for inspiration. No offense to builders but I would recommend getting in a proper window company for the windows.

I have never seen a house that didn't look good with Golden Oak windows (hides the dirt too) but the options nowadays are pretty much limitless.

Frame profile has an equal if not greater influence on appearance than colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back