Thoughts please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...we moved into a new house in the summer which needed a fair bit of work doing to it. I'm a mature student so had the summer off to crack on. Also had plenty of assistance from more qualified family members.

Still a few bits and pieces to do but we're really happy with most of it, apart from the Ikea kitchen. There's a new tiled floor down but we chose terrible light grey tiles and grout which is impossible to keep clean, the grout lines are far too wide at 1cm and as the sub floor wasn't levelled the tiles aren't particularly flat. We were under time pressure and made bad choices. They look naff and it definitely bothers me.

Now it looks like we've got some warping of one of the mdf worktops. Lol.

Now this is what I'm thinking.... I've got the summer off again. Is it realistic for me to take the kitchen units and worktops out, take up the tiles, level the floor, put down new floor tiles, reinstall kitchen units and get a pro in to fit some new solid wood worktops and refit the hob and sink?

I did the metro wall tiles which look great so I would want to leave those untouched where possible. Have also since laid 2 tile floors which came out well. Including the hallway with the slate tiles I would be laying.

The tiles run into a bamboo floor (open kitchen diner) so I need to be able to do all that including level the floor without damaging this.

I will add that I didnt fit the kitchen units originally so this would be new to me but I can't see it being too much of an issue.

So is this realistic and worth the effort? I suppose I'm looking for reassurance as the missus is unsure. We'll be living in the house for at least the next 5 years and this summer would be the last time I have all that free time....

Any thoughts/advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you can find a good way to deal with the small step, I'd be inclined to tile over the existing tiles, you'd probably have a better chance of a level finish than on the sub floor.
I tiled my kitchen floor without taking the ikea units out at all - I just worked along - unscrewing legs, tiling, then replacing legs as I went.

Interesting - I hadn't thought about leaving the units in and doing it that way. This could potentially make my life a little easier. Could even leave the hidden tiles under the units in place. But then would this be compatible with whacking down some levelling compound? Hmmm

I think tiling over the tiles is out of the question and would get vetoed by the gaffer!

Cheers mate

A pertinent question, would be what's your budget. What your proposing is sensible, and if done properly, will give you a nice kitchen, but if you take the tiles up, and level the floor, why go back with tiles again when you've seen the problems you get with them. I'd suggest you think about bamboo flooring for the kitchen, and you can set some screws in the floor to get the self leveling compound right.

If you had mdf worktops, and go to solid wood ones, then you may find you need to lower the kitchen units to get the heights right.

Sponsored Links
Fortunately Ikea do some of their solid wood worktops in the same thickness as the mdf ones. So for ease I'll just get those.

Tiles, materials and worktops will cost c.£500. The tiles are about half the price of the bamboo flooring and there is a slight difference in height with the kitchen floor being ever so slightly higher (a couple of mm) than the bamboo when the tiles are down. There used to be a wall separating the 2 which explains the difference. This is nicely covered with a bamboo transition strip. For these reasons that's why we favour tiles although I agree that if we'd gone all bamboo in the first place we'd be better off all round!

If I take up the tiles up to the bamboo, is there a preferred technique for then putting down the levelling compound so it stays where it needs to be? if that makes sense.

Thanks again - I really appreciate all the advice

And beyond the materials costs above... we'd like to keep spends to the minimum. So I was hoping I could do most of it then just get somebody in to scribe and fit the worktops and re-fit the hob and sink.

To get the finished height of the SLC to where you want it. Drill the floor in a pattern of 1m squares, and set in a rawlplug and a screw to the finished height you want. You start at the door opening, and then using a spirit level, you work across the room getting all the screw heights to the same level. Then when you mix the SLC, make it a little wetter than recommended (half a litre) so that it flows a bit easier, and then add and move the SLC till you get it to the top of the screws. Do you have spiked shoes. you can get them off ebay.

I leveled as I went with the tiles, hard work but it's come out perfect (hand mixed 200kg of tile adhesive in a small tub so it wouldn't go off/ to waste).

Also used 5mm grout lines, black tiles and black grout!. Our 11 year old lad drags his muddy bike throught the kitchen so no chance of keeping it clean with light grout!.

Took a week of nights after work and a weekend to sort it out.

I lifted some units out but some got jacked up and tiles under legs.

20170817_083825.jpg

20170824_142338.jpg

20170824_225018.jpg

Nice job mate! If it looks that good afterwards I'll be well chuffed.

Also - cheers for advice on the SLC. Definitely makes it seem a bit more straightforward and less daunting.

You need to work quick with a large area, although in this weather, you've got a bit more time. You want at least 2 mixing buckets, and a paddle mixer, but don't run it too fast or you'll get air in it. One person mixes, one pours whilst they are mixing, and a third person cleans the previous bucket and measures out the water for the next batch. And ideally, you've got a fourth person pouring and then spreading the mixture. You might get away with 2 people in this weather, but one person doing it is a recipe for disaster. Best of luck.

That's why I decided to level per tile as we had to keep some use out of the kitchen, I suppose it depends how far out the floor is?.

Our house had had the L shaped living room originally but had been altered for a bigger kitchen so floor was on 2 levels.

Would have been nice to tile to a flat floor so that seems the best way if you have the option!.

Good luck and if you take your time it'll come out well!.

I've found Bal Micromax2 grout by far the best but just be careful as it goes off quick!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back