Thousands will die!

Sponsored Links
only about 65,000 dead even if everyone gets it, not really that scary in terms of numbers. Tragedy of course if it happens to one of your own. Can't say I'm worried about it.

only about 65,000 dead even if everyone gets it, not really that scary in terms of numbers. Tragedy of course if it happens to one of your own. Can't say I'm worried about it.

If one person dies, thats a tragedy. If 65,000 die it's just a statistic.

Sponsored Links
What i don't understand is that, of the 7 people who've died in this country, we're told they all had 'underlying health problems'. Why aren't they being more specific? If the 7 people's underlying health problems were that they were suffering from bronchitis or something like that anyway than i can understand why contracting Swine Flu may have been more serious and ultimately fatal for them - but what if the 'underlying health problems' were that they had hay fever or something more common and usually harmless?

Are people with Asthma at high risk if they contract swine flu?? Just seems a bit odd to me that they aren't giving more detail about what these existing health problems were?

... Maybe they aren't telling us the real truth, to avoid widespread panic.

We are DOOMED!

We are all gonna DIE!!

It is THE LORD that has lost this patience with us SINNERS!!!

THIS IS THE ONSET OF ARMAGEDDON!!!!

So the confirmed cases of swine flu is just over 7,000, 7 of which have died. the disease, will die.

So put that in perspective, on average, 10 people die on the roads every day...
Soon to be outdone by the amount of people dying from violent crime. Currently, close to 1000 people a day need hospital treatment due to assaults. The criminals only have to learn how to become a bit more effective, and an day's worth of crime will wipe out more people than a complete pandemic.

So please help the keep this country safe, and don't use your mobile whilst you are driving. The police really don't want to stop you for it as they would rather arrest criminals, but they have no choice as it is simply too dangerous to tolerate.

The Spanish flu of 1918 started just like this one. It came in during the spring as a mild flu and then seemed to fade away. Then it came back that winter with a vengeance and killed up to 100 million worldwide. You could go down with it in the morning and be dead by nightfall. Same type too - both H1N1.

If you divide the world population by the number of people that die every year through whatever reason, you get a significantly higher number.

UP TO so many dead don't mean $hit, a bold tire can cost you 5000 quid, but in real life you don't get caught, and the 1 in 1000 that does get caught, gets a £60 fine.

Are people with Asthma at high risk if they contract swine flu?? Just seems a bit odd to me that they aren't giving more detail about what these existing health problems were?
Andrew, following on from John's reply to your question, the official line is:

What advice is there for people with Asthma or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)?

Your condition places you at greater risk if you catch the disease. It is therefore all the more important that you follow good hygiene practices and react quickly if you develop flu-like symptoms.
I developed Asthma last year (you can develop the condition at any time in your life apparently). They discovered that I had developed Asthma because I was admitted to hospital and placed in ICU as I had a 'near fatal Asthma attack' (the consultants words not mine). I am now on a high dose Steriod Inhaler twice a day. So I'm worried obviously. :(

...Are people with Asthma at high risk if they contract swine flu?? Just seems a bit odd to me that they aren't giving more detail about what these existing health problems were?

There isn't a whole lot to be said about it other than minimise exposure, and opitimise hygiene.
NOBODY has any immune responses against it, because it is a new strain so anybody exposed is at risk; end of story.
You can talk about til the cows come home, you either get it, or you won't.

The Spanish flu of 1918 started just like this one. It came in during the spring as a mild flu and then seemed to fade away. Then it came back that winter with a vengeance and killed up to 100 million worldwide. You could go down with it in the morning and be dead by nightfall. Same type too - both H1N1.

If you divide the world population by the number of people that die every year through whatever reason, you get a significantly higher number.

UP TO so many dead don't mean $hit, a bold tire can cost you 5000 quid, but in real life you don't get caught, and the 1 in 1000 that does get caught, gets a £60 fine.

OK between 50 and 100 million died. In that era the population was just 1,86 billion compared to today of over 6.8 billion. You seem to like doing sums so work out what could happen today.

As the components are incomparable, no outcome of today's flue can be extrapolated from something that happened a century ago.

At the end of WWI, after years of chaos, there were uncountable amounts of people with completely deteriorated health, food production had been a shambles, healthcare in general was non existent, drugs were not available, if developed at all, and hygiene was not a concept known to the general public.

Sponsored Links
Back