Thre way light switch circuit issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wired this up so to control downstairs light. I have an intermediate by front door and a second switch further in that connects to light. On the landing I have a switch that runs to the intermediate switch.

If I switch the landing switch off I cannot switch on or off with either down stairs. If the landing switch is in other position I can use both switches downstairs. I double and triple checked my wiring and cant see an issue.

Any idea? help!

Sponsored Links
two-way-plus-inter.jpg
Standard wiring, how does your wiring match up? With electronic switches it is different, and if you are missing wires there are some kinetic switches which can get away without wires, but photos are good, with a photo of switches some one may see the error.

Sponsored Links
There is always the possibility that the copper core of one of the wires has snapped near the end, in which case it will feel very floppy.

It is difficult to advise as there are two ways of wiring two-way switching.

You could always disconnect the landing switch and put the two wires NOT in COM in two terminal blocks, then connect the COM wire to ONE of them, see if everything else works.
If it does, connect the COM wire to the other block and see if everything else works.
If it also does, then the switch is faulty.

If one of the ways does not work, then something else is wrong.

There is always the possibility that the copper core of one of the wires has snapped near the end, in which case it will feel very floppy.

It is difficult to advise as there are two ways of wiring two-way switching.

You could always disconnect the landing switch and put the two wires NOT in COM in two terminal blocks, then connect the COM wire to ONE of them, see if everything else works.
If it does, connect the COM wire to the other block and see if everything else works.
If it also does, then the switch is faulty.

If one of the ways does not work, then something else is wrong.

Thanks for your help looks like it was the switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back