Threaded aerial outlets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hands up from the start, I am useless with modern technology!
Hope to be moving in to my late FIL's bungalow in the new year and noticed last week that he does not have a standard aerial socket anywhere. Instead, he has a couple of, what look like double aerial sockets with threaded outlets. These are connected to a satellite dish on the outside wall and he used a set-top type of box to watch TV. He was not subscribed to Sky or anything like that as he has no internet connection. (I think he was using a Manhattan(?) box).
Now, assuming the cables from the dish are co-axial, can I swap out these outlets for a standard aerial socket as our TV, (which we use a a BT set top box with), needs a standard aerial socket to get a service. If the answer is, "No it doesn't work like that.", what do I need to do to get our TV working please?

Sponsored Links
The threaded ones?
Can I simply swap them out for a standard aerial socket?

You could maybe reuse the coax feeding the socket, by connecting it too a loft/roof top TV aerial, depending on what coverage there is in your area.

Sponsored Links
The threaded ones?
Can I simply swap them out for a standard aerial socket?
Just changing the shape of the connector won't turn satellite dish signals into something compatible with your aerial sockets on the TV and BT box.

The simple solution is to get one of the local aerial guys to install a standard TV aerial for you. That, or swap your BT box for a Freesat receiver/recorder if this is the only place in the house where you're likely to want to watch TV.

TV aerial signals can be split and distributed around the house relatively easily. All TVs have an aerial socket, so they're 100% compatible with this. If you want a small telly in a bedroom or another somewhere else, then this is the way to go. The only real caveats are the initial cost and making sure first that there's decent signal for Freeview reception. The aerial guy should be able to tell you, but if you want to check yourself then put in the house postcode and number into this checker: https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/detailed-transmitter-information

Once the page updates then scroll down. The first bit of relevant info is a list of your likely transmitters and what the basic reception is likely to be. For my bit of Cheshire, then the results are as follows.

1692505389596.png

My most likely transmitter is Winter Hill. Your mileage will vary.

Below that you'll find more detailed info for the listed transmitters. The following is just the top two.

1692505504527.png

From here I can see that Winter Hill gives me strong signal right across the board. If I were to redirect the aerial from Winter Hill (Granada) towards the Sutton Coldfield transmitter (Midlands) then the reception wouldn't be as good.

The predictor can't take account of local issues such as trees blocking the reception path. You'll have to take it with a pinch of salt. However, if you look at the neighbouring houses and find that they've got aerials then it's a fair shout you can have the same.

Satellite for TV reception: It doesn't matter what shape adapters you buy, the satellite dish signals will never, ever, ever be compatible with a standard TV aerial socket and the tuner it feeds. Ever!

Freesat is marginally better quality than Freeview, and it carries more HD channels. However, the channel mix isn't identical to Freeview. There is a lot of overlap, but some differences too. The other issue is that the signal isn't easily distributed throughout the house. You can't split a satellite dish feed in the same way as an aerial. It doesn't work the same way. Multiple satellite receivers require either individual coax cables from the dish to each receiver, or a fancy distribution system called a multiswitch. You'll also need satellite receivers at each TV point. It's a lot more expensive to do whole house TV with satellite.

Thanks @Lucid, I think we will 'get a little man in', as my wife is wont to say.
We live in East Anglia and the nearest transmitter is Sudbury, which is 25 miles away but gives a good reception.
On the second chart, most of the boxes say 99.
Beyond my comprehension so we will get an expert in to set it up. Was hoping for a point in the lounge and another in our bedroom, but we'll see what the charges are and the difficulty in doing it.
Thanks for the replies guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back