Three core cable now becomes four core???

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I've had to buy a new under worktop cooker and hob for my apartment in Spain. The oven door failed and I had to buy a new hob as well as an oven as the controls for the hob were on the oven facia.
The hob had a wiring loom that plugged into the oven and the oven then had a wire that plugged into a special three pin socket on the wall behind the oven. It is not your usual socket but a heavy duty one wired up to a the consumer unit marked oven and hob or "Cocino Horno" in Spanish.
The new Electrolux hob and oven have their own separate cables and visiting the local electrical store the staff advised me to do away with the socket and connect the two appliances by using a large block of terminal strip.
My problem is that my hob has not just the usual three core wire, brown, blue and yellow and green but a fourth wire coloured black. What should I do with this one? (polite answers only please).
PS The previous installers of the oven and hob were the delivery drivers who obviously were not health and safety minded as the didn't bother putting the back on the special plug that is designed for the cooker connection as it took up too much space being the cooker for it to fit properly into the cavity. If the firm hadn't gone bust in the 2006 crash I would have been in to complain......

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion. Have now moved it as suggested. There's even an overseas electrical forum too. How helpful can people be.......?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying cable has four wires or junction on oven has four terminals , if so sometimes a link in installed to reduce to 3 wire connection.

The cable from the hob has four wires, the usual three plus a black one. The socket in the wall has just the usual three.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back