Three/ ID/ Smarty Mobile Services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanting to ask folk who have any of these SIM cards in their phones how they find their mobile service.

I was with Three for years before swapping to Smarty. They advertised having WiFi calling and free roaming and also access to 5G where available. This is everything I had with Three, but Smarty's charges were much lower, so I swapped.

I have since discovered that (so far) I have only had access to 4G but more importantly, speeds are being throttled. I have swapped SIMs with my middle lad's Three SIM that gives him faster speeds and 5G reception. He finds speeds throttled on his phone with my SIM, while I have improved speeds and and access to 5G with his SIM in my phone.

How are others getting on with these providers, particularly those on the MVNOs (ID and Smarty), but also those on Three?

Do you suffer slower speeds? Have you been able to get 5G?

How are you doing on ID now, Mottie?

Sponsored Links
Working fine still. Recently 'upgraded' to a 20Gb plan as I tether at work - internet plus TV. Just changed Mrs Motties plan from 'Three' to ID as it includes roaming and rollover. You could try it as it’s only a 30 day rolling contract.

I have an IPhone SE 2020. No 5G in my home area. 5G in my work are but my phone is not 5G compatible!

Re: 5G.
I have a friend who has a mobile phone shop and he reckons 5G isn't worth paying extra for.
Maybe that will change as I have another friend in the security business who reckons it's the future and that home broadband will fall by the wayside.
Me, I'll wait and see.

For general browsing I can't tell the difference betwee 4G and 5G, and 5G drops out on position variations. Better if you're dowloading etc though.

Sponsored Links
Update: I might be leaving them! Barstewards. I upgraded from a £6/Mo. 4Gb data to a £20Gb one. Only £2 extra but…….today is the date of my start of month and they didn't roll over any of my unused data. Also, I see they are now advertising 24Gb of data for £8 so I phoned up and guess what I was told? Yep, New customers only! You lose the rollover when you upgrade. What tosh. So, I might leave, try something else out and then rejoin. What a faff!

I have a Smarty sim - 4gb, unlimited everything else, five quid a month. I get 5g. Not noticed any issue with reduced speeds, but I don't spend my life on my phone so I'd probably be the last person to notice.

I spoke to someone, but they claim not to know about speedage. I'm going to try again and see if I can speak to another person.

Update: I might be leaving them! Barstewards. I upgraded from a £6/Mo. 4Gb data to a £20Gb one. Only £2 extra but…….today is the date of my start of month and they didn't roll over any of my unused data. Also, I see they are now advertising 24Gb of data for £8 so I phoned up and guess what I was told? Yep, New customers only! You lose the rollover when you upgrade. What tosh. So, I might leave, try something else out and then rejoin. What a faff!
I think I’ll wait until April. Anything bought before then is likely to get a 14%+ price hike so again, loyal customers will be penalised.

I think I’ll wait until April. Anything bought before then is likely to get a 14%+ price hike so again, loyal customers will be penalised.

When I do rejoin, I'll not go direct through ID mobile either. I'll buy through a third party - some of them are offering 30Gb plus unlimited texts/calls with data rollover and EU roaming for £8 per month!

Smarty claim 5G where available. But I've not seen it on my phone. Lad still gets 5G in our village.

Think Smarty are telling porkies.

Sponsored Links
Back