Anyone Use Smarty?

I'm no expert. But are we talking about the original Nokia 6100 from the early noughties? Surely that is a 2G phone? I think the 2G network will still be on.

Yes, circa 2004ish vintage. Thanks, will look into that.

EDIT>>>>> Had a quick Google. 2G won't be switched off until 2033 at the earliest - whereas 3G is already being turned off in some areas by certain phone cos. and will be all over by next year. Even better, Asda/Vodafone offers 2G.

You are right - my Nokia 6100 is 2G. Which begs the question - why are EE sending me texts about the 3G switch off telling me my phones is old tech and I need a new one now? :unsure:

Anyway, big thanks. I was on the verge of spending money on new phone. Will press ahead with switch to Asda/Voda. :giggle:(y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
why are EE sending me texts about the 3G switch off telling me my phones is old tech and I need a new one now?

My emergency backup phone is a 2G Samsung PAYG with EE. I had a text ages ago saying it might stop working but it hasn't. I have noticed that it can sometimes take several minutes now to find a signal when first switched on but otherwise it is fine. I wondered whether they might be letting the 2G network fall into disrepair naturally.

Vodafone have a coverage checker map which shows 2G separately. It might be different to the Ofcom checker posted above because I think that is mainly for higher Gs

You'll probably find that they can't "switch the 2G network off", as it is used for things (infrastructure) that are probably really embedded somewhere.

While not 2G-related, probably equivalent to when the air traffic network fell over a while ago; IIUC, a bit of newer code caused the antiquated existing system to fail.

Sponsored Links
Vodafone have a coverage checker map which shows 2G separately. It might be different to the Ofcom checker posted above because I think that is mainly for higher Gs

Tried the checker and it's a good indoor and outdoor coverage for all Gs, inc 2G.

Back