Three Phase Labelling

Sponsored Links
Why did you want to identify them?

To stop people trying to use them when they were dead, or to stop people trying to plug particle accelerators in?

Why did you want to identify them? To stop people trying to use them when they were dead, or to stop people trying to plug particle accelerators in?
The former. If I weren't around, they might have called out an electrician if they came across a 'dead socket'!

Kind Regards, John

No room on the faceplate and behind for a sub-miniature 230V neon or LED indicator?

Sponsored Links
No room on the faceplate and behind for a sub-miniature 230V neon or LED indicator?
Probably - but that would hardly help when the circuit was 'dead' (hence LED or neon not lit) - it would probably still seem to someone who wasn't 'in the know' as being a dead/faulty socket!

In the end I settled for using standard sockets (the same as all the others) but with (reaching for flak jacket :) ) "socket protectors" normally plugged into them!

Kind Regards, John

Wouldn't a "Generator Only" sticker or similar do the job ?
Also, why only live when on generator - is it to avoid any changeover switching ?

In the end I settled for using standard sockets (the same as all the others) but with (reaching for flak jacket :) ) "socket protectors" normally plugged into them!
How would those, or indeed coloured sockets, have told someone not in the know that they were normally supposed to be dead?

Wouldn't a "Generator Only" sticker or similar do the job ?
In "aesthetically unimportant" places like utility rooms, office etc., that's what I do. However, a few are in living areas and I wanted something a little more aesthtically pleasing!
Also, why only live when on generator - is it to avoid any changeover switching ?
Quite a long story, but the short answer is esentially "yes". One of the practical reasons is that there are a number of lights scattered around the house (permanently 'switched on') which are wired directly into that circuit - so they automatically come on when the genny is fired up. However, there is also one circuit which does have a changeover switch - mainly for the CH boiler and controls (and my internet modem/routers) etc.

Of course, Murphy's law worked well on this occasion. When I installed all that, 20 or so years ago, we were having quite frequent and fairly prolonged power cuts (one flash of lighting within miles and the power could go off for an hour or five!) but, since I made the provision, I have hardly ever had to use it 'in anger'!

Kind Regards, John

How would those, or indeed coloured sockets, have told someone not in the know that they were normally supposed to be dead?
They obviously wouldn't, with any certainty, but the fact that they were clearly 'different' might at least have made them think that perhaps they were not 'normal sockets'. In any event, it's not just "them" or "people not in know". There are places where there are 'normal' and 'genny' sockets next to one another - and, without some distinguishing features, even I would probably not remember 'which was which'!

Kind Regards, John

A indicator lamp, even if off, would be a distinguishing feature :ROFLMAO:

Or you could have mounted the sockets upside down.

Or taken a fine point permanent marker to the screwheads.

A indicator lamp, even if off, would be a distinguishing feature :ROFLMAO:
It would, at least for me. Actually, you remind me, it's not actually true that all of them have "protectors" plugged in. Some have 'nightlights in a plug' - which is an aid to finding them when they are needed.
Or you could have mounted the sockets upside down.
I did consider that, but thought it would look a little odd in living areas etc.!
Or taken a fine point permanent marker to the screwheads.
Again, only really for me - and not necessarily what one wants to be looking for when there is a power cut and one wants to locate the 'genny' one!

Whatever, I'm happy with what I ended up with - which probably does the job as well as any of these other ideas would.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back