Three socket projects advice please

• Thread starter Rich_wookey
  • Start date
R

Rich_wookey

Hi, my 1st post here!

I have three projects to add more sockets, I won't be doing the electric work myself, I'll get in a professional. We have a modern style metal plate sockets & switches, and I know a supplier who sells them at v reasonable prices, but I want to make sure I buy the correct bits. The walls are plaster board dry lined onto blocks. Any cable will be in oval tubing/ trunking and then plastered over. I am told the existing consumer unit requires no modifications to meet regulations (i.e. it has the required breakers)

1. Adding sockets to an existing spur from the ring - I know is against the regs, what I'm suggesting is to replace the existing spur socket with a switched fused unit (13A) and then run three double sockets in series (two at low level, one at high level). i realise total load for all three sockets is limited to 13A - see attached Project 1 diagram

Project 1.png

Q - does this meet regulations?
Q - any other solutions?

2. My Home-Office is away from the house, on side of garage, fed from main house consumer unit to its own consumer unit with breakers in the office. There is a 30A ring circuit, currently with 5 double sockets (two in garage), My problem is that with 3 LED monitors, up to 4 laptops, internet router, satellite box and beer fridge, I'm currently daisy chaining extension leads off one double socket! I want to add 4 x double sockets - See Project 2 diagram

Project 2.png

I want to extend the ring to 1x double socket and spur off to a 20A double pole switch, then a 13A fuse unit, onto 3 x double sockets, so I can switch off 6 sockets in one go. To extend the Ring, I have purchased 10 x SX2837BLK ME Euro Unswitched International Socket Euro Modules - see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10xMK-SX...l-Socket-Modules-50x50-Black-16A/222176449824

The existing double socket will be replaced with two of these sockets, making extending the ring easier, by attaching each of the ring cables to one of the new singe sockets, and extending each side of the ring from there. These sockets will be useful, because I have some IT equipment with Euro plugs, so I won't need adaptors

Q - should I switch the positions of the 20A switch and 13A fuse units? I thought not because the 20A switch has larger screw terminals, the size found in double sockets
Q - any other solutions?

3. Adding an extension block with 6 sockets to the supply, via a new fused flex outlet (13A) with a master switch, so I can switch off 6 audio visual units with one switch - See Project 3 diagram, again total load is limited to 13A.

Project 3.png

The start point is a double socket on one wall, I want to add a new double socket above the original into the ring as per the diagram, the run a cable horizontally around the corner to the other wall, where it will be accessible, to a 20A double pole switch, then a 13A fuse unit, to a flex output unit (these three units are mounted in a double socket sized front plate)

Q - Is it OK to run the cable around the corner of the two walls?
Q - should I switch the positions of the 20A switch and 13A fuse units? I thought not, because the 20A switch has larger screw terminals, the size found in double sockets
Q - any other solutions?

Advise welcome

Thanks

Rich

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Why won't she answer your questions or design the installation?

Is she on holiday?

Because I have not engaged her yet

And whats the point of these forums if DIY folk cannot answer questions?

I know a supplier who sells them at v reasonable prices
At prices less than those your electrician could get them for?

Don't forget it's that which you have to compare, not the price she charges you for them, because if her income comprises labour charges and materials profits, if you deny her the profits she will simply increase her labour charges to compensate.

Then there's the fact that if you supply parts then you won't get a warranty for them, not even free labour to replace anything.

Sponsored Links
Because I have not engaged her yet

Ad whats the point of these forums if DIY folk cannot answer questions?
But you aren't DIYing.

I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

Every single one of your questions must, and can only, be answered by the electrician who you will be expecting to sign that to say that they made all the decisions.

Quite frankly I am astonished that people take time to post such replies to my simple questions, Its a waste of every readers time

after less than 2 hours after registering for this forum, I'm going to delete my registration and never return

Surface mounted trunking is so 1970 Council House Renovation Wookey?

Presuming the OP hasn't already flounced off....

All your projects are DIY-able and not notifiable (assuming there is RCD protection on the original circuits).
Project 1 is fine.
Project 2 is overkill- why have a 20A switch feeding a 13A FCU- just use a switched FCU.
Project 3 is silly. Just spur a single switched socket off your ring, plug your 6 way extension into it and use the switch on the socket to isolate. Or if you have issues with people borrowing 6 gang extensions then just connect it to a switched FCU

You got flamed because you did the usual 'going to get someone else to do it' and then asked a load of design questions which the installer will be responsible for answering- if you'd been honest and said you were DIYing you'd have got different responses. Or if you'd said 'before I get someone in to price for these schemes, are they feasable?'.

PS What is the difference between a double socket and a twin socket?

heeelllooo and welcome rich wookey
you have a question that needs to be answered and we will answer it
as said supplying materials is part of the finacial consideradion
its an overall contract iff you try and remove one part off the income they have a choice to recoupe the lost income from the bottom line or indeed not bother to give a price
tradespeople in general are very fair if you try and reduce fair profits you are expecting them to work for less than a fair price
no none minds a bit off help but trying to interfear in a meadaling way is not helpful:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back