Three socket projects advice please

• Thread starter Rich_wookey
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with any of the three things proposed, assuming the circuits have RCD protection.
They may not be the best choices, and there are certainly other ways to achieve the end results.

There is everything wrong with stating:
I won't be doing the electric work myself, I'll get in a professional
and then asking for all the details on how the installation will be done.

This means that either:
  • there is no electrician and the work will be DIY - in which case why the lies? DIY electrical work is not illegal and never has been.
  • the OP is so distrustful of this electrician that they want to confirm every tiny detail - in which case get another electrician.
  • the OP is one of those that insist on micromanaging everything and is exactly the kind of customer no electrician or anyone else would want. Examples include buying a dog and barking yourself.

PS What is the difference between a double socket and a twin socket?

A dual box (not a twin socket) will hold two single accessories, such as single sockets, switches or FCUs.

It is a relatively easy way of extending a ring. Suppose you have a single outlet on a ring in a utility room. You can attach one leg of the ring to one single socket, one leg to the other, and run a cable between the two that might travel round the room, with additional sockets on it, returning to rejoin the ring at the other single socket.

Or you might want to take out a socket and put in two FCUs, or some other combination.

Because it is the width of two singles, it is bigger than a double socket, so there is still some digging in the wall.

AP636.JPG

BG909.JPG

A dual box (not a twin socket) will hold two single accessories, such as single sockets, switches or FCUs.

It is a relatively easy way of extending a ring. Suppose you have a single outlet on a ring in a utility room. You can attach one leg of the ring to one single socket, one leg to the other, and run a cable between the two that might travel round the room, with additional sockets on it, returning to rejoin the ring at the other single socket.

Or you might want to take out a socket and put in two FCUs, or some other combination.

Because it is the width of two singles, it is bigger than a double socket, so there is still some digging in the wall.
I was wondering if that was his plan- think the Ebay sockets are a more likely thing in that sketch. Those multi boxes are very handy, especially the 2g + 1g ones if you want power and data at one location :)

in a utility room or workroom, dado trunking is fantastic. As many sockets as you want. Compartments for power, comms and data.

TLMX42X.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back