Three way circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to put a three way circuit into my bedroom to control the lighting. It would incorporate a single electronic dimmer as the main switch (by the door) and a double electronic dimmer (one either side of the bed), one dimmer on each of these to control the main light and the other to control a bedside wall light (although this switch would effectively be on another circuit so can be forgotten about).

Basically all i want to know is would this work??? And if so could someone please do a wiring diagram for me???

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You would need Master/Slave dimmers if you want to use dimmers on the same light from two or more locations.

does the fact that the dimmers i want to use are ''digital'' rather than the variable resistor type affect this as i am under the impression that they 'reset' on power off

Sponsored Links
What do the maker's instructions say about multiple dimmers on the same switching circuit?

Theirs are the instructions and diagrams you need to follow...

Found a digital system today called Sphere which allows you to use up to 8 switches to control 8 separate lighting circuits...just the job, not cheap though, 3x 5 way switches and 1x lighting control unit is £261.00 from my local electrical supplier, however the switches are wireless and use 2x CR2032 batteries in each so there's no mess of wiring and the batteries last approx 1 year!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back