Three wildly differrent quotes for laying travertine tiles..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, I've had three massively different quotes for laying these tiles in my kitchen. Any advice would be appreciated.
The tiles I have bought are Hoppe Travertine Brush Chisel Edge unfilled tiles.
The space is about 19sq metres taking into account various intrusions like a breakfast bar, chimney breast, etc.
They wll be laid on floorboards. All three quotes included laying plywood first (one said 6mm, another 9mm).
First guy quoted £900 and said it would take about 7 days to complete.
Second guy quoted £1,300 and five days to complete using two people.
Third guy quoted £590 and two and a half days to complete.
All quotes included flexible adhesive, sealant and grout.
Which sounds the most realistically priced and timescale for laying?
These are north of England prices if that is relevant.
Many thanks
Jono[/b]

Sponsored Links
should have added...
the tiles are mixed shapes and sizes. I think each pack contains one large square (16in x 16in), one small square, one larger rectangle, one small rectangle.

If you call any of the adhesive manufacturers they will all say that 6mm isn't enough.

I remember when I called weber about a ply thickness question they suggested that it had to be over 10 mm or is too flexible.

I'd always call a couple of the product manufacturers, they are very very helpful in my experience.

Do the quotes include sealing the stone, before laying, after laying and after grouting? Any chance of seeing some prior work?

Real stone is a bit trickier than porcelain tiles so I'd make sure you go with someone who is cabable and will use the right products (adhesive, sealant, grout.... e.t.c.)

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back