Threshold Bars/Strips for thick Carpet and Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have had some carpets (and underlay) installed. However the carpet to carpet threshold bars the fitters used give some pretty steep “ramping”. So much so it gives quite a noticeable “trough” at the door thresholds even though the underlay is cutback underneath.

Therefore has anyone any ideas to get around this ? As the I shaped carpet-carpet threshold bars I have found all seem to be the same kind of height. Or the ones that screw/clip down onto the floor covering only look like they are suitable for hard flooring or floor tiles.

Many Thanks,

Martin

(I did find a 6 year old thread on this sort of topic but only suggested the ramping)

Sponsored Links
You can buy an easy shim from stair rods

Thanks for replying jct.

I had a look at those, but they seem to be for transitioning between two different floor heights, unless I misunderstand the product. Whereas I am wanting to join the gap at the door way between two carpets/floor of the same thickness.

But that has got me thinking, whether I can take the strips I have got. Mount them higher on a bit of strip wood, so the drop between the top of carpet and the threshold bar is not as severe.

Yep that would work, if it makes it even

Sponsored Links
You can mount them higher on a strip of wood, or, with thick carpets the fitters should have used raised metal profiles that have a lip to their base that sits them higher than standard metal bars

As Dave said. Bit of ply the same height as the underlay.
I am surprised this isn't more common/standard, every time we get carpet fitted (just normal 55oz wool twist, 11mm foam underlay) we ask for it and are usually met with a slightly odd expression. They do it, but think its odd. To me having a half inch valley under every door is odd, not to mention a pain to hoover!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back