Through bolt into brick or mortar joint.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got to attach a ridgeboard to an existing wall, and the centre of the timber falls on a mortar joint.

Is it ok to use through bolts on the mortar joint, or should I move the holes on the timber?

The height of the ridgeboard can't be moved otherwise the pitch of the roof will change.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sponsored Links
A ridgeboard is at the top of a double pitched roof!

There are no walls to bolt it to

Anyway, when bolting timber to walls just move the fixing off centre and stagger them to miss any joints

could be a single extension with a double pitched roof butted up to a house.....last one we did like this we built in if I remember rightly?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Woody I don't know what its called its the timber that attaches to the wall at the top of a mono pitched roof.

The Architects drawings called it a wall plate but you said on another post its not a wall plate.

Thanks for giving me all the advice though Woody on the other posts I do appreciate it :)

Sorry Woody I don't know what its called its the timber that attaches to the wall at the top of a mono pitched roof.
It's a pole plate. It's not a great idea to fix into the mortar joint as it's not as strong as the brick. I'd stagger the fixings above and below the joint. Try to get as close as possible to the centres of the bricks.

A pole plate sits across horizontal joists within the roof frame a bit like a purlin. It's a pitching, pitcher or bearer plate

I thought a pole plate was part of a pole dancers enterage :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back