Through bolts not always grabbing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using m12 120mm through-bolts to bolt 50mm timber to a wall. Around 1 in 5 don't seem to grab and will just pull back out as I tighten up the bolt.

Is there a knack? I always aim to avoid the frog or any bed/perp, and being careful to try not to punch through the back of the brick but that doesn't seem to matter. The hole in the timber and brick is drilled at 12mm too, so the bolts are tight and need hammering in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's possible. There are parts of the house that are frog down but I can normally feel it on the drill when you hit the frog.

Sponsored Links
Have you got an impact driver? If you have get a long socket & an adaptor, I've found rattling them in works very well (might be an inertia thing)

Have you got an impact driver? If you have get a long socket & an adaptor, I've found rattling them in works very well (might be an inertia thing)

Not sure re the long socket but I'll have a root around and see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back