Ticking Radiator Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a radiator that ticks constantly whilst the heating is on. I've been told it could be expansion but even after 3 hours the ticking noise is still present so this should rule that possibility out. I've had to bleed my towel radiator at least once a week too as air is collecting there. A plumber recommended pouring leak sealer in the expansion tank because he believes there must be a leak somewhere which is causing air to enter the system. He said it might also be causing the ticking noise too.

I don't have TRVs fitted on any of my rads so I don't think that could be a possibility either.

Is the plumber right and should I wait for the leak sealer to run around my system and find the leak and plug it?

My boiler is in one of my bedrooms and I've noticed a rapid ticking noise coming from the pipework in that room when the system is running, different from the noise and frequency of the ticking of the rad in the other one. Again this should point to an expansion problem except that it doesn't disappear after say 1 hour when you think the pipes would have finished expanding...

I did a search on this site but previous posts solutions don't seem to work for me... :(

Sponsored Links
The noise could be the pipe work rubbing onto timber. What speed is your pump set to? try turning it down 1 setting and see if all the rads heat up.

Andy

Dont put leak sealer in your system it doesnt work honestly you are just wasting your money and you may damage your boiler

It's probably a piece of metallic debris going round and round in a vortex and hitting the sides.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. My pump is set to 2 (3 different settings available) so I've now set it to one.

I've already put the leak sealer in the system as instructed by the plumber... didn't realise it would be detrimental to my central heating system.

If it is metallic debris then I guess a power flush will remove it?

Sometimes rads make a clicking noise where the slots in the wall mounting brackets meet the bards on the back of the rad. New rads have plastic clips to stop the noise of the metal parts moving against each as it expands. Your may be missing/broken or never fitted.

When you get the ticking noise, try lifting the rad slightly to see if it stops.

I have a few of the plastic spacers missing. Where can I buy replacements or is there something else I can do?

I have a few of the plastic spacers missing. Where can I buy replacements or is there something else I can do?

I've never been able to source spares. You could try contacting rad manufacturers like Stelrad or Quinn. Tell them you have some of their rads ;) ;) and see if they can help with spares.

If you are resourceful you can usually find an old bit of plastic to cut up to fit!

Faced with a new boiler ticking I exchanged the main heat exchanger and turned out there was a screw lodged inside which was moving whenever there was a water flow!

Tony

I suppose I could cut a small piece of electrical tape and stick it on the hook to prevent metal rubbing against metal..?

If it still ticks after 3 hours then it isn't expansion. If it were, your rads would at the far end of the room by that time. :mrgreen:

@ joe-90 Yeah logically I agree. I think it must be debris or the fact that some of the spacers are missing. I will have to try and replace them this weekend or put some electrical tape on the hooks.

If during the ticking phase you simply lift the rad slightly - about a mm will do - it will stop if that is the problem.

And if the tick is rhythmic - then it can't realistically be that and tumbling debris is the best logical bet.

I'd put money on it that it is a little ball of solder from piping up. ;)

Doubt it. If it's just tumbling over and over it's too heavy to shift. You need to take the rad off the wall and out into the garden and tip it up and hose it until you actually see it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back