ticking radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am cursed with a ticking rad in the lounge. I changed my hall rad from a single to a double in the summer and had the system drained twice due to a bit of a leak. Since this I have had a ticking rad in the lounge next door. It quietly ticks when getting up to temp and then went the thermostat cuts in in gains a second louder tick. The boiler is old and I did put Fernox in about 4 weeks ago as it had got really noisy again(very hard water area).I have bled all the rads and no air.
I would be grateful for any ideas on how to cure this.
Caroline

Sponsored Links
Causes of noise in or around a radiator:-

Pipes expanding and contracting .... rubbing along a tight notch in a joist

Rad E&C in the brackets

Debris in the pipe or rad

Air in the pipe or rad

Mono-directional TRV's fitted the wrong way round

Paranormal activity.... Poultergeists n stuff :LOL:

My money is on one of the first two
Cut a bigger notch or pack up floorboard. Amazingly a bit of talc in the area can reduce the rubbing effect

Likewise if its expanding in the brackets a bit of lubrication can help. Some manufacturers provide plastic 'rad rests' which fit on the brackets and its likely that these arent fitted for whatever reason

The shed where you bought the rad from will sell ear muffs, these work wonders as you cant hear the wife either, just turn up the telly.

Sponsored Links
The WIFE??!! Caroline lives in Bognor, not Brighton :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back