Tidying up door installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a hardwood stable door in an arched-top opening. Sadly the arch isn't terribly plumb and true in and of itself, so, having fitted the frame nice and plumb, I'm left with a varying gap around the frame (up to 20mm in places).

I am trying to decide how best to cover the gaps. The first thought is some brown bendy trim (pvc?) and have seen this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAK-PLAST...ARIOUS-SIZES-SHAPES-2-X-2-500mm-/331713053554

but I can't decide if it will bend around the arch very well. The door is made to measure but is a pretty standard width (can't recall the exact size).

Has anyone used this type of trim around a curved-top frame, and if its not suitable, what else?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
depends how wobbly the gap is. I covered a gap between brickwork and frame using a batten screwed to the brickwork, and close-fitting to the frame, stained to match the frame. It is free enough to accommodate seasonal movement. You might need to plane or rasp the batten if your gap is uneven.

In my case I injected foam behind the batten into the gap, having first wrapped it in clingfilm so it was not stuck fast, to prevent draughts, because the batten method does not give a tight weatherseal. I suppose colour-matched silicone would do, but I am not so neat with it.

You could also use mortar, but it will fall out.

It has an arched top so a batten would be a problem. Gap is too wide for silicon sealant.

Sponsored Links
Flat pvc trim will bend fine, Stick it with some clear silicone and prop it in place over night with some wood.

A scribed bit of 20mm thick matching timber would probably look better though. Hold it level across the door and use a compass to mark it to the arch, Then cut and pin it on.

It's timber... stick with timber.

If the frame is flush with the edge of the structural opening then fit a curved architrave as follows.
Fill the gap with expanding foam. Be very carefull not to use too much it is a bitch to remove cleanly from finished surfaces.
use a sheet of plywood or MDF to form an architrave. This can be carefully cut to match the curve of the exisign frame and be large enough to cover a section of the surrounding wall.

If the door has a varnished wood, you may want to use the plywood as a former or template from which to cut an architrave out of several planks of wood which match the timber the door is made from. these sections are first cut to the correct curve, then moulded on a spindle or with a guided router and then mitered together. finally then can be fixed onto the door frame to cover up the messy gap between the frame and the wall. this is the same process used for internal doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back