Tiger Loop Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have replaced my old external Camray Boiler with a nice new Grant 16/21. I had an OFTEC engineer come to commision the boiler and everything was OK but he said that the pipes coming from the Tiger Loop to the boiler had to be copper and not the flexible hosings I used for the life of me I can't work out why, but is he correct? The tiger loop is just underneath the boiler would it be possible to put the tiger loop in the boiler?

Cheers Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi I have replaced my old external Camray Boiler with a nice new Grant 16/21. I had an OFTEC engineer come to commision the boiler and everything was OK but he said that the pipes coming from the Tiger Loop to the boiler had to be copper and not the flexible hosings I used for the life of me I can't work out why, but is he correct? The tiger loop is just underneath the boiler would it be possible to put the tiger loop in the boiler?

Cheers Pete

He's talking mince mate, OFTEC is not like Gas Safe, very few of their rules are manditory. Only the items that fall under Building Regulations, so your system has to comply with Building Regulations.

Here in Scotland you don't need to be registered with OFTEC to install oil systems. OFTEC is just another rip-off for Bona Fide installers.

The Tigerloop must be installed with proper metal pipe. Once the f/r pipes enter the boiler case you can complete to burner with flexis.

Interesting comments Delta T.

The green mdpe oil pipe is not allowed in the building, and neither is the Tiger loop unless it's the special one.

Sponsored Links
Interesting comments Delta T.

The green mdpe oil pipe is not allowed in the building, and neither is the Tiger loop unless it's the special one.

100% agree doitall, green oil line doesn't like UV rays either and should be sleeved above ground.

The Tigerloop must be installed with proper metal pipe. Once the f/r pipes enter the boiler case you can complete to burner with flexis.

Please quote the Building Regulation that states that?

I am having to get it signed off for the warranty he is saying that i have to run 10mm copper to the inside of the boiler and then attach the flexible pipes to the copper and onto the burner, I must say that the Grant installation manuall does state that flexible pipes should not be on the outside of the boiler, (having re-read) :)

Of course if by not doing it, you'll b.gger up the warranty, then perhaps it would be better done, just to keep the 'jobsworth' happy.
If you want to dig your heels in, why not phone Grant & ask the question why? Are they armoured hoses or just the poxy rubber ones?

Armoured but I guess I'll hust get on and do it, but for the life of me I can't see whyjavascript:emoticon(':rolleyes:')

Thanks for all your input guys.

Pete

I've a better idea. As the one who's advising the OP in slapdash ways, why don't you quote the regulation that states an oil carrying rubber or braided hose can be installed exposed to the elements. Or indeed any manufacturer's instruction that doesn't ask for pipe through boiler case entry point.

I've a better idea. As the one who's advising the OP in slapdash ways, why don't you quote the regulation that states an oil carrying rubber or braided hose can be installed exposed to the elements. Or indeed any manufacturer's instruction that doesn't ask for pipe through boiler case entry point.

What about boiler house models that have the burner exposed ! :LOL:

Flexible oil lines are NOT weather resistant they go brittle when they have been soaked in water and effected by sunlight over a period, the OP won't be pleased if one of them lets go and spills 2000 Ltrs of Fuel oil all over the garden and neither will the environment agency!! get 10mm copper tails from the De-aerator to inside the boiler case, then fit flexi's from here to the oil pump nice and compliant ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back