Tightening BSP joints

• Thread starter sparkyspike
  • Start date
S

sparkyspike

How can I tighten up a BSP joint and leave it in the position I want it? (I am trying to connect BSP-compression elbows to a shower manifold and need the elbows to point downwards.)

On the outside tap I solved this by using a fibre washer between the joint. But how are you supposed to do it properly?

Sponsored Links
Wrap loads of ptfe tape around male thread and tighten until it is pointing in the correct direction.

You could also use loctite 55 sealing thread, the advantage of this is that you can back off the joint if you go too far.

Thanks Dave. I did this but not 100% confident so I changed the elbows for straight connectors and added compression elbows which meant they could be rotated afterwards. The main body of the manifold is packed with 8-10 windings of PTFE and it doesn't leak, but the connection is not tight. I hope it works because I can't do anything about it after it has been tiled over!

Sponsored Links
sparkyspike said:
I hope it works because I can't do anything about it after it has been tiled over!

If you dont tile over your consumer units then just why would you ever consider tiling over a plumbing joint which might leak sometime in the future?

Electricians have the advantage that electricity does not leak out of bad joints, bring down ceilings and spoil carpets!

Tony

Agile said:
Electricians have the advantage that electricity does not leak out of bad joints, bring down ceilings and spoil carpets!
Um, I can think of an exact analogy though, where insulation is damaged, results in arcing, causes overheating, starts a fire, ceiling down, blood, maiming, death, oh the humanity.... :eek:

Wot's with the not-reading-many-of-Agile's-posts-ever? :D

Electricity usually stops at an HR joint and goes no further.

If the plumbers cannot think of this then let me remind them of the immersions which have stopped heating because of o/c joints.

Tony

Agile said:
Electricity usually stops at an HR joint and goes no further.
Fascinating - when doesn't it stop at such a joint?

If the plumbers cannot think of this then let me remind them of the immersions which have stopped heating because of o/c joints.
What language are you actually using here, 'cos it isn't English? Is it some kind of radio ham speak?

In the beginning the CORGI created The RGIs and The Apprentices. The Apprentices were without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the, er, well, on their faces. And the Spirit of Agile was hovering over the face of the waters. Then Agile said, “Let there be Me”; and there was Him. And Agile saw himself, that He was good; and Agile divided the registered from the numpties. Agile called Himself Knowledgeable, and the others He called The Plumbers.

So the evening and the morning were the first day. Then Agile said, “Let there be arrogance in the midst of the Knowledge, and let it divide the men from the boys.” Thus Agile made the arrogance, and divided the Plumbers who were under the Knowledge from the RGIs who were above the Knowledge; and it was so. And Agile called the Knowledge ACS.

So the evening and the morning were the second day. Then Agile said, “Let the waters under the RGIs be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. And Agile called the dry land London, and the gathering together of the waters He called Curry. And Agile saw that it was good. Then Agile said, “Let the Apprentices bring forth grape, the herb that yields wine, and the fruit tree that yields mango chutney, according to its kind, whose seed is in itself”; and it was so.

And the Apprentices brought forth grape, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields chutney, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And Agile saw that it was good.

So the evening and the morning were the third day. Then Agile said, “Let there be lights in the arrogance of the RGIs to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the arrogance of the RGIs to give light on the Plumbers”; and it was so. Then Agile made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. And the greater light did out of his ar*e shine.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I can`t wait for the last chapter.........BOB scroll and the 3 other Horsemen..............of the Apoca H.I.P.S :rolleyes:..........Maybe BOB will have seeded himself by then ;) Or Spilled it on the ground, and changed his name to ONAN DOLE..........But then, does he give a toss :?:

Agile said:
sparkyspike said:
I hope it works because I can't do anything about it after it has been tiled over!

If you dont tile over your consumer units then just why would you ever consider tiling over a plumbing joint which might leak sometime in the future?

Tony

Well this is exactly the point. I won't be tiling over it until I'm sure it won't leak. Or should I leave all my pipework exposed?! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back