Tightening BSP joints

• Thread starter sparkyspike
  • Start date
Agile wrote

Electricians have the advantage that electricity does not leak out of bad joints

Our electric leaked out unto a tin roof once and caused most of the shed to become LIVE.
The first unusual thing that was happened was when our dog lifted his leg to have a pee against a sheet of tin laying against the wall and he let out the most terrifying howl.
I then leaned against a damp timber upright sleeper and received a very sharp tingle indeed.
Turned out the live cable from the transformer feeding the CU had splayed about in the wind and cut through the live cable on the sharp edge of the tin roof which adjoins the property.
I remember reaching up to the cable with a big stick and giving it a good flailing to test if this was the source of the problem and sparks flew all over the place followed by a few large and very bright flashes and one of those noises (only louder)which is similar to the one you hear when a fly is zapped in one of those neon fly zapping thingamajigs.
It was at that point we realised something was wrong. :(

Sponsored Links
Concealed shower valve connections are (IMHO and Softus permitting) a nightmare and an accident waiting to happen. My preference is to only use solder joints which will be then inaccessible in a wall. The valve types that fit into a mounting box in the wall and / or have a large cover plate which provides some sort of access to the final (compression / threaded) joints are preferable.

The worst of all options are the valves and power showers that push-fit onto exactly (!!) positioned copper stumps in the wall. Maybe OK ( for a while!) the first time round but what happens when the valve needs maintaining / changing? Yukkkk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back