tightening the outside doorhandle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - here's a pic of the handle on the main door of the house. The circular bit (external) is a tad loose and I thought I could tighten it up via the two screws on the internal circular bit.

But no. The two screws on the inside aren't biting at all. In fact, they seem completely loose as you can see from the one I've pulled out a fraction.

I'm hoping someone can tell me how this handle should function e.g. what should the two screws be biting into? Are the two smaller circular plates on the outside removeable (and for what purpose)? How do I tighten the whole thing up as was my original plan?

Many thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Looking at your pics, I suspect that the inside screws tighten into the circular bits on the outside. When you tighten them up have a look at the bits on the outside and see if they are turning. Or undo the screws like you have on the pic then try tapping them back in and see if the circular bits on the outside pop out. If they do, you'll see that they have an internal screw thread which the screws tighten up into. ;) ;)

Agreed - those circular caps are actually nuts, and often your problem stems from the screws being slightly too long! Take one out at a time, and reduce their length by about 3mm.
John :)

They could also have been cut a fraction short resulting in the thread being torn off , remove completely and check condition of thread, if the door has swollen short screw will no longer quite reach the outer nuts.They can also be miss aligned so if you are missing the nut when turning the screw it will just spin.You can get replacement double ended screws.

Sponsored Links
Any Assa stockist will have the replacement screws and nipples you need.

More oddness - I went to remove the screws but can't. In the pic above you can see I've pulled one out a fraction. It won't come much further and neither does the other. Screwing has no effect and pulling, it seems like it's catching on something even though it's very loose.

I'm loathe to do a forced pull. Can anyone suggest what's happening here?

Thanks again.

No, John, it's not. It seems like the screw doesn't even reach the nut - with the screw all the way in, I can spin the outside section and not 'hit' anything if you see what I mean. Which is why I'd like to remove the screws but I don't know what's stopping me from just pulling 'em out...

For sure, you have to get the screws bang on target to get them to connect with the nut.....I can't see why the screws wont come out though unless the thread has stripped a bit. I'd be inclined to put a pull pressure one the screws with some pincers or similar and at the same time, turning the screw.
Sounds like one of those 'why the hell do I bother' jobs!
John :)

Have a look underneath the handle. Is there a allen headed grub screw ?
Or try placing a screw driver on the screw that is halfway out and giving the screw driver a tap. It should force out the captive nut on the other side allowing you to grasp the sleeve and finish unscrewing.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Have a look underneath the handle. Is there a allen headed grub screw ?
Or try placing a screw driver on the screw that is halfway out and giving the screw driver a tap. It should force out the captive nut on the other side allowing you to grasp the sleeve and finish unscrewing.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

ASSA/Ruko lockcase, no allen screw on these ones.
Corrosion on the thread/nipple is the most probable cause.

The screwdriver tip is spot on.

Looks like you need new handles, cut the screws off with a hacksaw and replace the lot. :p

Deep down, I think I knew that new handles were needed but I always like to attempt a 'fix' first. I'll make one more attempt at getting the screws out. If they don't come then it's full replacement.

Many thanks to you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back