tightness testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Lee not just embarrassing its frightening,this is first couple of months apprenticeship stuff and should be automatic and second nature.
Mates on Transco still get several calls a week from seemingly qualified guys saying pressure is too high because when they turn maintap handle on with gauge attached it blows the water out.
Or the other favourite is nipple blocked with grease and pressure rises slowly on gauge so it nust be the maintap letting by.

embarassing it is, and quite dishearting when you realise so many people don't have the required knowledge to do the job(this is not in refference to any particular post I might like to point out)....but ......If someone comes to the forum with qualifications and is out there working, then I'd rather help them along then let them continue doing things wrong, and at least they're prepared to come and ask for advice. The people who really worry me are the people who are not here, they don't seek advice or help even though they lack the most basic knowledge/skills, these the people who we tend to follow round on a daily basis, just winging it and ripping people off for shoddy work, and yet somehow passing their acs with flying colours. trouble is these people are not here to have a go at so its easy to pick on the people who are at least prepared to ask the question and risk a public thrashing. Its not right, its not great , but we're not in a place to change anything.

The even more worrying bit, to me anyway, is that when people come for reassessment, they get a day or whatever of refresher training, like the day before. What do we go over and over? Yep, tightness testing, gas rates... Because as everyone knows, it's bad for business to have to fail people.
SO you have people who've been doing it at least 5 years ( the worst ones are the longer ones, quite often) who ought to basically know most of it. Then you've reminded them, shown them the tables in the book where different meters and different pipe sizes have different allowances, and asked the class to respond to a few examples.
Then on the assessment you point to a U6 on 22mm and ask what the allowance is. Sometimes you just know, you feel it in your water, they're going to say "Is it one bar".
The urge to take by the throat and do damage, is there.
Then about a third still think the allowance can be on pipework, which it can't. It never could. It hasn't changed. SO what does the assessor do? Fail them? What we do is make them read it out loud from the book, then get them to agree it's clear, close the book, and we ask them again. Every now and again we still get:
"yeh, but if it's existin' it's ok".

There are definitely some nump.. I mean less able people on this site, but the average is way higher than come through the ACS.

Sponsored Links
The even more worrying bit, to me anyway, is that when people come for reassessment, they get a day or whatever of refresher training, like the day before. What do we go over and over? Yep, tightness testing, gas rates... Because as everyone knows, it's bad for business to have to fail people.
SO you have people who've been doing it at least 5 years ( the worst ones are the longer ones, quite often) who ought to basically know most of it. Then you've reminded them, shown them the tables in the book where different meters and different pipe sizes have different allowances, and asked the class to respond to a few examples.
Then on the assessment you point to a U6 on 22mm and ask what the allowance is. Sometimes you just know, you feel it in your water, they're going to say "Is it one bar".
The urge to take by the throat and do damage, is there.
Then about a third still think the allowance can be on pipework, which it can't. It never could. It hasn't changed. SO what does the assessor do? Fail them? What we do is make them read it out loud from the book, then get them to agree it's clear, close the book, and we ask them again. Every now and again we still get:
"yeh, but if it's existin' it's ok".

There are definitely some nump.. I mean less able people on this site, but the average is way higher than come through the ACS.

spot on chris, had 2 guys in last week for re-assessment so they have been fitting heating for the last 5 yrs, they argued with me that TT is at 21mb, and temperature stabalisation is optional, FFS what have thewy been doing for the last 5yrs, i have sympathy with heating installers trying to remember ventilation, flue faults and spillage test as they havent done it for 5 yrs, but TT, purge, gas rate and IV they should all know about and do every day, but it is obvious that they are not doing the job properly

Good job we no longer talk in tenths that would really confuse some.
test at 80 tenths ,16 tenth drop allowed on standard meter/appliance installation and letby at 40 tenths ;)

chris and kirk gas take it ur assessors what quals do you need for met4

i dont know but i will find out tomorrow, i assume (which is dangerous) that you need the relevant core CCN1 for domestic, i assume MET4 is commercial so you would need commercial core

Met 4 - sorry not a clue.
I'm an assessor part time. Easier than work but the pay's not good. Dom/Com/Cat & LPG but we don't do Met4!

yep but i need any other quals other than ccn1 to take it as their been few jobs asking for it i getting fed of going from job to job as contract ends another begins

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back