Tile adhesive tips please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just started tiling today in my bathroom, got myself some good BAL adhesive and I am tiling on to plaster board that has been put on with dot and dab. I have put up a vertical and horizontal batten and worked everything out so I dont end up with awkward tile sizes/cut anywhere, but I am not 100% sure how to work with the adhesive as it is ages since I did it before and dont even know if I knew correctly then.

It is very sodgy stuff and I am putting dolops of it in the area I need ie it is all different levels, so I scrape it down a little and then use the tilers trowel (6mm trowel) to get it level with lines but what am I aiming for, should I scrape it with this trowel so that the bits in between the teeth are almost cleaned off of adhesive so only the lines are left?

Or leave a total thin layer of plaster with the lines on top?

My thinking is it should be easier with fairly big tiles on a plasterboard surface but I am finding I am needing to fiddle too much getting them level, I need some tips.

The adhesive does not seem the easiest stuff to put on walls nicely, ie it needs playing with, I thought it would be eaier to apply like plaster.

When I hold the tiling trowel I hold it slightly angled and scarpe upwards, is this ok?

I am also tiling the shower area, should this area have the tile adhesive put on differently, I ask this as I read some where that there should be no voids left in the shower area, does this mean voids in the adhesive or voids as in cable/pipe channels?

If I could have spent a day with a tiler before hand I reckon I would have learnt so much especially how to put this stuff on.

Any advice and tips would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is very sodgy stuff and I am putting dolops of it in the area I need ie it is all different levels, so I scrape it down a little and then use the tilers trowel (6mm trowel) to get it level with lines but what am I aiming for, should I scrape it with this trowel so that the bits in between the teeth are almost cleaned off of adhesive so only the lines are left?
Yes. That's the only sure fire way of getting a consistent depth of adhesive bed.

Or leave a total thin layer of plaster with the lines on top?
Wot?

My thinking is it should be easier with fairly big tiles on a plasterboard surface but I am finding I am needing to fiddle too much getting them level, I need some tips.
It takes practise. Draw a couple of plumb lines to work to. Work hard to get the tiles on the bottom row dead level. Use spacers. Work up in a triangular pattern, so that you can control an area of tiles.

The adhesive does not seem the easiest stuff to put on walls nicely, ie it needs playing with, I thought it would be eaier to apply like plaster.
What do you mean "playing with"? :confused:

When I hold the tiling trowel I hold it slightly angled and scarpe upwards, is this ok?
Yes, as long as you're consistent with the angle.

I am also tiling the shower area, should this area have the tile adhesive put on differently, I ask this as I read some where that there should be no voids left in the shower area, does this mean voids in the adhesive or voids as in cable/pipe channels?
I don't know - you'll have to ask the author of those words what they meant by them.

If I could have spent a day with a tiler before hand I reckon I would have learnt so much especially how to put this stuff on.
There are short courses you can attend.

Any advice and tips would really be appreciated.
80% preparation, 20% execution.

....should I scrape it with this trowel so that the bits in between the teeth are almost cleaned off of adhesive so only the lines are left?
Yes

If using large tiles then a powdered adhesive is recommended.

That's pre-mixed for ya. Like bubble gum ain't it?

Horizontally is better.

The wall should be tanked prior to tiling.

Cheers guys, one other thing, sorry if its a silly question, do you put the adhesive on with the tilers trowel, scarping the lines in as you apply it OR do you put it on with something else and scrape the lines in as a secondary process, hope that makes some sense to you?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back