Tile cost estimate (compared to vinyl) for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom I'd like to remodel. Can't afford much right now so I'm looking to at least fix the floor. I believe replacing it with a new vinyl floor is the most cost effective but I'd like to get opinions on how much more you think it might cost if I went with tile instead. I'd really prefer tile so depending on the price difference, it might be worth it.

For a photo of the bathroom and details on problems with the flooring, please see my other post here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1704740#1704740

For the cost estimate, I would be interested in doing the floor plus up the walls part way like 4 feet (how high is standard? Is it feasible to do floor only and wait to do walls to save cost?). The room is 6'x9' total. I wouldn't tile the shower at this time, seems too much to undertake unless tiling on top of a plastic shower is ok to do (but that doesn't seem kosher to me at all).

As far as which tile, I am open to suggestions for cost saving ideas. I think it needs to be a smaller tile (4"x4" or less) since it's an old house and floors have settled. I would like a light colored tile. I like neutral colors but then fear I have to repaint the whole bathroom. It might be easier if I can just repaint the trims to match. (Currently the wall color is an off white with hint of blue-green.

In general, I just don't know how much to expect to pay for all the stuff on top of the tile itself (grout, tools, custom cutting, etc.)

On a side note, is there any hope to tiling the counter & 'built-in' sink without removing the whole cabinetry? (See link above for photo.) Maybe with small glass tiles?

Thank you to all who reply!

Sponsored Links
This is a UK website and prices for labour and materials will be different here.

as said most of your replies will be from tile fixers here in the uk, but you will pay a HELL OF A LOT MORE for tiles,adhesive,grout,labour than you would for a roll of vinyl flooring, in fact you would probably pay MORE just for labour than the vinyl would cost to buy

Sponsored Links
mjjgm

try posting over on the john bridge tile forum,that one is for USA tile setters.
best off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back