tile cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

I need to buy a tile cutter. I have a £50 voucher I need to use for e-bay, so that seemed like a good place to start. Anyone care to have a look and recommend a good one?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I got a new einhell wet diamond cutter from Ebay last year for about £30 delivered. Without going to the garage I think it's a 920 watt. Works great but to be honest, I no longer use it. I now use a Rubi TS40 manual cutter and a decent diamond blade for the angle grinder (marcrist blade) and that does my needs easily.
As seaangler says though, einhell are cheap and fine.

Interesting topic.
I am tiling the mrs aunties kitchen this weekend, whilst Im not an expert tilier, the tiling I have done in the past I have been very pleased with (just lucky Im not going to be charging by the hour - I'm not the fastest!)
I once borrowed a plastiplugs tile cutter - its the only time I have used an electric one and I thought it seemed ok, can anyone that has experience with this and other please give a bit of info as to why they arent too good? I was going to get one for this job as thers loads to cut.

Thanks

PS sorry to but in but Im sure this applies to your original post too.

If I can give you one piece of advice, it's get a good blade. My diamond blade for the 115mm angle grinder cost about £30 and is easily worth double. You can get a cheap wet diamond table saw cutter for that - what does that tell you about the quality? Sure it'll work, but it'll be slow and the finish will not be as good for long. With a cheapo blade the finished edge quality will quickly deteriorate. With an electric table saw type, not only is it slow it get's you covered in wet tile slurry. You have more control with an angle grinder - you can cut with the very edge and therefore get curves whereas with a table saw type you're cutting deeper with the blade so you can't do curves.
A marcrist blade is about twice as thin a regular blade and therefore cuts about twice as fast. They actually supply you with a competitor's regular blade when you buy a Marcrist one so you can compare the two. There's really no comparison.

Thanks for that, longevity isnt really an issue as I dont expect any power tool that costs £50 to last for long, that said I have been eying up a dewalt 18v grinder for a while - can pick up body only for about £70 which is only £20 more than I planned to spend on a tile cutter - are these 18v jobbies up to it? how much are these fancy blades? as I said, I wont be cutting tiles day in day out. I could defo do without the wet mess though, this is the one thing I didnt like about the one I used before - oh and cleaning it took hours.

Thanks

ive used 2 plasplugs cutters and found them to be suitable for the occasional diy use,the only downside is that they do spit quite a lot of water out so indoor use is a no no

Thankyou once again everyone for sparing the time.

Gone for an Einhell one.

Just for the record, I got an Einhel cutter off E-bay for £60 including delivery, and it is absolutely superb.

Very very easy to use, fairly quiet, and quick.

Many thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back