Tile design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SWMBO finally settled on green tiles for the kitchen to go between the worktops and cabinets, so it's just a strip 500 cms high on two walls. She, oops I mean we chose, three different shades of green, pistachio, mint and dark green and a light beige and they're the small 10cm square tiles.

So the question now is what design to use?

Obviously could do something straightforward, i.e. just one colour after another in a regular pattern, but quite fancy trying something "different". Anyone know of any on-line pattern designs, or got any ideas?

In total it's only 6 m2, so 600 tiles and they weren't terrifically expensive so if a particular design means I've got to buy a few more that's OK.

Any advice appreciated chaps and chappesses. Thanks

Sponsored Links
at the end off the day its personnal preferance mate....

me...i would just go random....open up all the boxes and just fix to walls in any order...with that many tiles,and you go for a pattern...you will be going stir crazy setting/fixing them...and one out off order will stand out a mile...

coliholic said:
-- a strip 500 cms high --

Do you live in a castle? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously though, get some squared paper and coloured pencils and start drawing (or use a computer). You want to know what it's going to look like before the tiles are stuck to the wall. :cool: :cool: :cool:

As tictic says, it's personal preference but I would avoid any kind of four-colour chess board (too loud man, too loud :!: :!: :!: ) and reject the random pattern for the same reason. I also dislike strong diagonals but that's just me. I would be thinking about squares within squares or some kind of wave pattern and I would go easy on the dark green. :idea: :idea: :idea:

From the figures you give, you have about 12 metres of wall to do so I would think about a pattern that repeats itself at intervals of no less than 50cm. Longer would be better but don't overdo it. You want to be able to see it repeat without standing in the opposite corner of the room. Pattern lengths of 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 15 tiles all go nicely into the 120 that you have. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back