Tile Master PrimePlus Flexible Primer Peeling Off Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I applied Tile Master PrimePlus Flexible Primer around my bath and sink and for some reason it peels off very easy and has not soaked into the plaster skim so I did not start to tile as I thought it would pull right off with the weight of them if I had carried on.

The plaster skim was done over 2 months ago so its had plenty of time to dry. The area where I applied it was clean and dust free and I followed the following from the tile master site on how to mix.

New plaster must be allowed to dry for a minimum of 4 weeks.
Make sure surface is free of loose dirt or dust. Prime the surface with Primeplusdiluted 3 parts water to 1 part Primeplus, followed by a second neat coat.

I have now peeled it all off the wall and have bare plaster again. So I am now not sure what to try or what caused this.

Sponsored Links
have you tried to brush off any dust and followed the info on the tub?

I use BAL SBR prime waterd down on new plaster or iv heard of guys useing stop gap pimer

Hi,

I did brush down before applying and applied a coat of 3 water 1 part primer then a neat coat

Chris

theres your problem then brush off the dust and apply two coats or primer watered down rather then a neat top coat id use a BAL SBR primer

Sponsored Links
But even the first coat did not soak into the plaster as when I removed it today the first coat which was water down came off as well with the neat coat

Do you suggest I do a test area but water it down a bit more like 4 to 1 instead of the 3 to 1.

Also it does not say on the primer how long before tilling to apply the primer and how long between coats

Chris

i use BAL primer so cant really say

but i tend to prime the walls giving it about 30min before 2nd coat id say
4 to 1 should be ok yer do a small test patch

Iv never had problems with BAL SBR soo id say use that :cool:
then give it 15 mins then start tiling while its still tacky or let it dry i like to get on it tacky but thats just me i guess

Umm

Well I think I left mine to long between coats. I did the water down coat one night left it overnight then the 2nd neat coat then left it a night before I was going to tile but I did not get as far as putting tiles on

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back