tile onto different backgrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am about to tile our new bathroom... there are three walls to tile, each a different background. I intend to tile around the bath area (with shower over).

one wall is just plasterboarded, the second is plastered but not painted and the third is an old bedroom wall which has layers of old emulsion paint.

The plasterboarded and part of the newly plastered wall will form the shower area so I intend to tank these with something like the dunlop tanking kit from screwfix.

Question is, with all the different backgrounds, is there one tile adhesive that will suit all?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The painted wall will give you problems as the bond will only be as good as the paints adhesion to the wall. Score\sand it as best you can first - which will help.

How big are the tiles you are using?

Assuming they are smaller than 300x300 have a look at granfix multifix - its self priming and be ideal those varied backgrounds.

The type of adhesive you use will depend on the sizem weight & type of tile you will be laying. Tub adhesive should never be use on tiles thicker than 8mm or larger than 30 x 30cm; I usually switch to powder adhesive on anything bigger than around 25cm.

Whilst raw plasterboard & liquid tank membrane will support 32 kg/sqm, plastered walls have a max tile weight limit of just 20 kg/sqm including up tp 4 kg/sqm for the ady/grout so if your tiles weigh more than around 18 kg/sqm you could have a problem. Applying tanking membrane over plaster will not increase the weight limit.

If all the walls are plasterboard based you should use a flexible addy/grout on the lot but it’s never wise to compromise on either the quality or type of product your using just to avoid buying two types; the paint will need prepping correctly as TPT says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back