Tile over-hang on shower tray & Tiling tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if you have seen this in the decorating section ; more speed and less haste I know.

Please can someone tell me how far a tile should over-hang a shower tray?

Also how thick should the tile adhesive be once its been spread and notched? Its says a 3 mm bed and the notch it but how thick will that make it? What size notched tiling tool should I use?

Hopefully makes sense !!

I have installed a shower onto marine ply base, against 2 walls of aquapanel.

Also do I need to treat the aquapanel to waterproof it in any way before tiling?

Sponsored Links
Please can someone tell me how far a tile should over-hang a shower tray?
If the tray has an upstand, then you can tile past it or down to the top of it. It's down to your preference, but tiling past may need the upstand to be relieved into the wall (or backerboard).

Also how thick should the tile adhesive be once its been spread and notched? Its says a 3 mm bed and the notch it but how thick will that make it? What size notched tiling tool should I use?
That depends on the size of tile, thickness of tile, quality of tile, and type of tile.

I have installed a shower onto marine ply base, against 2 walls of aquapanel.
Have you also made sure that the floor beneath the plywood is as solid as a rock? And that the walls don't move behind the Aquapanel?

Also do I need to treat the aquapanel to waterproof it in any way before tiling?
No. Just inject silicone sealant (e.g. 785) at the joint between tray and Aquapanel, and let it cure before you tile.

You've lost me there.

Hi

Many thanks for the response:

The shower tray has no upstand with it, it is quadrant stone resin tray.
The floor is solid and been suitably re-inforced
The panels are firmly secured to walls as per the Manufacturers instructions.
The tiles are 25 cm X 33 cm and 8mm thick.

Sorry the the over hang referred to how far the tile should over hang the edge of the shower tray if that makes sense.

Ah, I see.

I would aim for at least half of the tile thickness.

If you butt the tray up to the backerboard then the radiused edge will usually create a gap of a similar size to the depth of adhesive. Then when you tile the face will 'overhang' by the tile thickness.

If you want less of an overhang, then just back the tray off the wall by a couple of mm.

Given that most walls aren't exactly square, you'll probably have the tray touching at some point and not others, unless you rebate the wall/backerboard.

It isn't an exact science - you'll have to play around a bit to get it how you want it.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing something similar ...

But I was going to install the shower tray BEFORE I panel the stud work with aquaboard .... is this OK?

only thing u will need 2 watch is thickness of aquapanel 12mm an thickness of tiles?...

Thanks ...

The stone resin tray has a very large lip on it, so 12mm aqua board + tiles should not be an issue ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back