Tile paint over grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a house with a vile pink kitchen. Until we can afford to do it properly, I've painted over the tiles with Ronseal's black tile paint which has covered well. However the tiles would look better with white grout but I've painted over the old grout with the tile paint. Do I have any options to make the grout white again other than painting white lines which will require a very steady hand (and probably look rubbish anyway!).

Ta

Steve

Sponsored Links
I think whatever you do is going require a steady hand. The only thing I can think of is to rake the old grout out and re-apply, but black against white is the worst combination for showing flaws. And raking grout out is a pig at the best of times.

Will a grout pen work or has the fact I've painted over it with tile paint now makes in impenetrable?

Quicker and cheaper to board over the tiles with a sheet of plasterboard, you can then replace when you can afford it.

Sponsored Links
Painting the grout lines might be easier than you think (or not). You try a sample area, paint the grout white, then use a rubber squeegee with a cloth over it to remove the excess.

Like I said, it may work but a grey grout line might show up fewer imperfections. A lot depends on how sharp the tile edges are. A rounded edge will be more difficult to define

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back