Tile pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some tiling to do for my son.

Brick pattern with 4x2 tiles, pillar box red tiles, white grout, 2mm spacers so I need to get the tile spacing and pattern right.

Any tips on keeping the brick pattern right, the run along the wall is about 3.5m and about 600mm high between cupboards.

Sponsored Links
It’s normal to start the pattern from the centre of the wall & work outwards to the corners but weather you start in the centre of a tile or on an edge will depend on what your left with in the corners. Avoid narrow slivers as they look odd particularly with brick weave but you may have no choice.

centre hob, and walk tiles to edges/corners..see what size of cuts you have at sockets etc and the worktop edge...

check worktops are all level...

tile trim...make sure you get the correct thickness for the tiles,for cuts at end off worktop,remember the edge off the tile will be...lets say 6-9mm thick,but when the tile is cut "into the bevel" it will be alot thicker i.e 10-12mm thick so this will be trim thickness.

take your time setting out and fixing..it aint a race.

Thanks for the tips. Am expecting some issues around sockets - there are 4-5.

Thinking about the centering the tiling is on two adjacent walls should I try to set it out so the joint carries the bond around the corner or treat each wall separately (As I would with a normal tile layout)? Treating them separately may mean the corner looks odd.

Tictic - how did you guess they were bevelled tiles! Put some on for my daughter four years ago (extending the area the builders tiled) - which idiot invented them.

Only need tile trim at the top edge which will be a tile edge so want some that matches the bevelled edge. Edges are against units and bottom agains the small upstand.

Have tiled before and work to a straight edge screwed to wall and when the first row has gone off work down. I don't work from anyone elses lines without checking. If worktop is not level willl set them so the bottom row loses the bevel to avoid highlighting the un-eveness.

Wife always complains at how slow I am but the first tile always takes the longest. Only have the weekend to tile and grout so need the tiles on Saturday.

Sponsored Links
he would have guessed because they are so popular at the minute. Seems like all i sell for kitchens these days

Yes

We were in France in May, guess which tiles all the supermarkets use in their lavatories . . . . . .

It is what he wants.

Tiled Saturday, grouted Sunday.

Upstand not quite level or straight, hood lifted about 10mm to match the tile line.

Ended up letting the brick bond run around the corner and centred on the hob/hood.

The Deka grid switch was a pig to work around. Needed tiles under the end of the grid but it has angles which fold back requiring cut outs in the tiles . . . MEM version in our kitchen is far easier to tile around

Left him with sealer for the grout to apply in about a week.
View media item 35970
View media item 35971

Yes

We were in France in May, guess which tiles all the supermarkets use in their lavatories . . . . . .

It is what he wants.

guess which tiles they use in this countries pub toilets as well :D

green, white or cream.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back