Tiled floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys & Gals
Just had my bathroom fitted and tiled by a proffessional!!!! :LOL:
I had a shower unit fitted but it cracked due to the tiled floor being uneven.
I am fitting a new shower tray but need advice on how to level the floor where the tray will go.
I am thinking of the self levelling stuff you buy.
If this is put on tiles and I decide to remove it will it damage the tile or can I put down plastic first to protect the tile
Cheers

Sponsored Links
More information needed - have a think about what we would possibly need to know about your circumstance.

It is the base of the shower unit that cracked due to the floor being uneven.
The tolerance in the base fitting instructions is a max of 2mm on the floor level.
I need to level the floor before I fit the new base.
The floor is tiled. I need to protect the tiles incase I decide to remove the shower unit and fit a bath.

How far out is the floor - if you put the shower tray straight onto the tiles, what’s the gap at either side?
I take it the tray doesn’t have levelling feet then?
Maybe you could pack it up with wood so that it’s level and cover it with some plastic upvc (you’ll need to cover the gap if you use self levelling compound too).
Thinking about it, I'm a little concerned that the tray will be relying only on the silicone (where it meets the wall) to hold it in place.
I think I'd make sure it's secured in place properly (cement) - I'd keep a few tiles spare and if you need to move the shower, just replace the few tiles that are marked.

Sponsored Links
If that's all it's out by, I'd just squirt some silicone under the edge and have done. It won't go anywhere then.

What is happen is the base has flexed and cracked so I will need to level the floor.

Yes I understand that. I'd still think that if you put a good thick bead of silicone under the edge (so that it completely fills the gap) that it would support the tray adequately. You could also slip a few wooden packer pieces into the gap.
Your other option of levelling the floor will mark the tiles permanently.

The problem is if I put silicon just under the gap it would not support the base completly. I need to fill the whole area with silicon to take up the uneveness.. I am thinking of putting plastic down before I use the self levelling

self leveling screed will break up with in a week on plastic. need to bed into cement or bond screed base to tiles. And why you worried about changing it to a bath or something else? If you can afford to change you mind in 6 months time on wether to have a shower or bath you can afford to change flooring tiles. most people try to get 10+ years out of a bathroom sweet and end up changing flooring 2-3 times in the period.

Why not simply pad out the area where the floor drops ??

A shower base, be it quad, square or rectangle has corners. On the assumption that the back wall corner is 4-5mm drop, just place some cheap tiles (which just happen to be 4 or 5mm) on top of the existing one's on the edge that needs raising up. A dab of mastic to fix them will mean you will be able to take them off, if you need to, later in life.

Might sound like a bodge, but the area will be hidden by the base and the centre base area normally has adjustable feet to support the base.

You could make up the level with vinyl tiles, if the level is slighter than 5mm :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back