Tiled roof advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in need of some advice. It's possible I've got some of the terminology wrong, so have attached a pic.

We had a builder build a new tiled roof on an extension about a year ago. We noticed water was dripping through the wooden eaves, so presumably the tiles were leaking through to the felt below, and thus it was draining through the eaves and not over the tiles into the gutter, as it should.

We've been chasing him to repair it for a year (the wooden eaves now appear quite water damaged, but I don't know if this is just superficial). He finally "fixed" the roof yesterday, but his solution has not been to relay the tiles, but to drape extra felt between the bottom of the tiles and the top of the guttering, so that it no longer drains into the eaves. But it is presumably still leaking through the tiles onto the felt. (And he didn't replace the eaves.)

I've guessing this isn't a good long-term solution, but want to check before I accuse him of being a cowboy!?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• roof.png
    roof.png
    786 KB · Views: 332
Sponsored Links
The unpainted board is a fascia, and the horizontal board is a soffit - together they make up the eaves.

I would imagine that the Velux frame flashing, or perhaps wrong installation or wrong flashing, might have something to do with the leaks.

There should be a tilting fillet (aka an angle fillet) just behind the fascia - otherwise the felt will droop and allow ponding. Ponding water often finds a way out at the corners eg. ref the water stains on your fascia.

Exposed woodwork such as fascias should always be all round pre-painted before fixing.

Plastic eaves felt trays should be used to retro fix drooping/ponding felt - but strips of roof felt will work if done properly and well supported.

Why not take pics from the bed room window?

The picture was only intended to illustrate which parts of the roof I was referring to (though that is the actual roof I'm talking about).

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's probably worth getting someone out to have a look at the work.

Last edited:
That roof looks like 15 degrees at best though it could be steeper or shallower.

The tiles look like Marley Ludlows and are not designed for that pitch. Whilst this doesn't mean it should automatically admit water, it's not a good start.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back