Tiled shower floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a new bathroom and part of this is installing a new shower. The shower will have a high flow rate (either from sealed cylinder or pumped) and will be installed in an alcove built to suit.

I am considering the idea of waterproofing and tiling the shower floor rather than using an off-the-shelf tray but I do not know how I would go about this. The bathroom floor is concrete so the shower floor will need to be raised in order to make space for the waste trap and allow a sufficient fall for the pipe.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this? Should I make the floor from timber, then seal and tile? But if so, how do I get the slope on the floor to ensure the water drains properly? Or should I build a concrete base, but then what about fitting pipes and access at a later date?
Alternatively maybe I would just be better off with a nice simple tray?!

Any help would be, well.... helpful! :D

Sponsored Links
the amount of time building your own tray and making it waterproof then it has to be spot on size wise or your into the cost of a bespoke made shower screen!

i know what id buy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back