Tiled without edge trim - woops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiled in my bathroom in two sides of a shower tray. The tiles stop so they are vertical to the shower tray edge. They alternate tile edge and half-cut tile all the way up...

so the tiles went up, the grout when on, looks awesome. Then I realised I didnt used a tile trim. I'm obviously not removing them to put a trim on.

What should I do? Just caulk down the edge to cover the rough cut? Or can I cut the trim and silicone/caulk it in place?

Sponsored Links
Mix up some grout and run it down the edge, smooth it down with a damp sponge when it starts to go off. When it's dry, and if the other walls are in emulsion, you can paint the grouted edge with the wall colour to blend in.

Do you have a shower cubicle or just an open tray?

In a cubicle, you don't usually use a trim as the tiles abut the sides of the frame and are then sealed with silicone.
In an open tray, you should ideally use a trim if you have rough exposed edges, as with a brick bond type pattern that you seem to suggest you have used. However, you can make it look neat with silicone/caulk/grout if you are good at using it.

Another option would be to just use a plain flat tile trim something like this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Narrow-Tile-Strip-Satin-Effect-Anodised-Aluminium-8mmx1-83m/p/206949

Sponsored Links
Rock. ME. Hard place

The tile edging looks good, I haven't seen that before. If I get it and my tiles aren't quite horizontal then I might struggle to use it. Also it's a 2.5m high section of tiles which means two bits of trim at each edge being seemles...

The grout, I have some white left over, hopefully enough... I also have caulk and white silicone, but I'm not convinced I can do a neat enough job... I'll probably have a go with the grout and chance it that I can either make it look good enough of cover up the errors with paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back