tiles came up without adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , any ideas please? I got a bathroom floor tiled 8 months ago. All fine for about 4 months then a few tiles splitting right down the middle . This happened in a few areas. Also some grout coming up from other areas. We have gotten the tiles up with a view to getting it redone. The tiles that cracked in middle were over joists. But all the other tiles just lifted up very easily off the floor leaving all the adhesive on the floor....There doesn't seem to be much movement in floor. There is no adhesive stuck to the tiles we took up...is this an adhesive problem would you say??

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be blunt but what you have is a total disaster which could be caused by more than one problem. It could be the floor; what sort is it? Crap adhesive/grout; what was it? Preparation; what was done? Without a lot more info, it’s almost impossible to tell. Most importantly, who did the tiling, was it someone who actually knows what they are doing? - doesn't sound like it. Your first call should be to have him back to explain!

when i was a tiler this is a job i referred to as a "bank raid" as most customers are happy to pay you for the cock up to be sorted ASAP

:D :LOL:

thank you for replies. Our tiler is very good and has done lots of other work for us . I think it was an adhesive problem, looks like my other half bought the adhesive and it seems to be the problem. He is priming it now and it will be re-done 2moro...tiler will bring his own adhesive this time...hopefully all be fine this time . Thanks again for advice.

Sponsored Links
If you’ve been satisfied with the other work you tiler has done, it sounds like he was lucky. To be frank, if he lets your “other half” buy the adhesive without any guidance, doesn’t know if it’s any good but uses it anyway, I wouldn’t let him any where near the job again :rolleyes: ; whoever it is, they are definitely NOT a tiler. What is he doing different this time? Why is he priming & what, exactly, is he priming with?; please don’t say PVA! Priming isn’t a magic wand & won’t make an awful lot of difference if your tiler has got it wrong; honestly, it doesn’t sound as if he has a clue what he is doing, it’s not your other half is it! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back