Tiles dispute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently tiled my kitchen using some Hi gloss black tiles. Being high gloss black, they came with protective chalk/wax lines on them (so when they're packed together in a box they don't get scratched I presume). Now these chalk lines are meant to wash off with water, which they do, but where the lines were the surface of the glaze is dulled. The retailer says I should have checked all the tiles prior to installation for shading differences. I argued that I could already see they're gloss black without removing the protective wax, and to most people leaving the protective layer on as long as possible (i.e. only removing just before grouting) would make sense. The case has been going on a couple of months now, and looking like I might actually have to go to small claims. The retailer has offered a full refund or replacement tiles, but refuses to cover any costs for removing and refixing. Am I being unreasonable expecting them to do this, or at least meet me half way and strip off the old tiles so I'm not worse off than before I bought them?

Sponsored Links
Just putting aside the claim for a moment, what have you tried\what have they suggested in order to remove the marks? its very unusual for the protective marks to do anything to the tiles, but very often the marks can be fun to remove.

What kind of tiles are they and do you have a photo?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back