tiles falling off in shower

You've top trumped me there!, although we only have 1 toilet so was a bit of a faf working around family toilet stops and flushing with a bucket!.

Pressure was on when I finally removed the old toilet and the new one leaked from the cistern fittings (took 3 goes to seal it all up properly!).

You've deffinitely got your work cut out there!, all worth it in the end though..

Thanks again guys – yeah Keithmac, don’t get me started on cistern leakage… my last house, in Gloucestershire, was a Redrow new “build” – I mean, at least I have no illusions about my ability to throw things together… the very hard water there seems to destroy flush valves, ballcocks etc in about 3 years from new, and there were 3 toilets in that house… everything just gradually started to fail.

When I tried to replace them (with a lot of help from this very forum, a few years ago), I found that all the screws holding the cisterns to the walls just pulled out of the nasty (think it’s called “dot & dab”) walls; the rubber ring sealing the cisterns to the pans was a non-standard size, and hard to find; etc etc etc. It took me weeks and weeks of removal, refitting, removal and refitting. I was nearly in tears.

“Get a plumber!” I hear you cry – well, absolutely, I tried. But the ones I contact don’t seem to be interested in doing anything other than things like replacing boilers, for which they’ll charge £1000 in labour costs for 6 hours’ work. I need 4 sets of taps, main stopcock, lots of isolators, and a bath overflow replaced right now, and 3 have failed to turn up.

Sorry, rant over. But I think a lot of us are on this forum not because we think particularly highly of our own abilities, but because we can’t get anybody else to do it…

As mentioned self mix adhesive has its advantages especially on the mesh faced backer board,have in the past just prior to tiling rub the area with a wet sponge and trowel the adhesive on the wall,forcing it into the mesh.then use a notched trowel.
C:\Users\Roger\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

You know, I was SO close to doing just that (with the sponge) at the time! Then I thought no Rog, you don’t know what you're doing, that might cause problems, just slap the adhesive on and it’s BOUND to be OK…

Sponsored Links
We have a nice reliable Gas Safe chap who services the combi, other than that I do my own plumbing when needed.

Once you've bought the tools to do it first time around you've got them for life, I see it as an investment.

A good reliable plumber is hard to find it seems!.

I am confused... Maybe I am too sober (it happens most mornings).

Why use tape to hold the tiles in place when you could just hammer masonry nails into the gaps?

Half of it was being quiet when kids were in bed, other half it's easier and less likely to damage a tile.

For the cost of a roll of tape it makes the job a lot easier.

Did the kitchen the same way too and that came out great.

20170619_154047.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back