Tiles falling off - new build

Sponsored Links
This short video shows how easy it is to apply a tanking kit, and they are only about £50 from screwfix etc. This should be the minimum you do before retiling....

Personally I don’t really understand why epoxy grout isn’t industry standard for wet areas.

In our shower room I’ve used hardiebacker, then applied the tile master tanking kit (much better than the everbuild version- their paste I found a bit lumpy), tiled and used epoxy grout. Overkill but tanking kits in comparison to the overall cost of the bathroom is minimal. Likewise with the epoxy grout really- cost difference versus normal grout is pretty small.

Just to update this thread... The tiles have all now been removed, none were attached particularly well. The tilers have prepared the surface - no idea what they have used but could probably find out. This is how it looks now - anything I should be worried about?

I notice I can still see where the black mould was on the plaster where water had been behind the tiles. That is also the area that would get the most water hitting it.

1688989487404.png
1688989293512.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Doesn't look as if they've used any tape in the corner so that's a bit of a fail.
The mouldy boards- you're meant to clean the surface before applying the tanking. You can't really wash plasterboard but a good brushing would have shifted most of it. Tap the mouldy area with the back of a screwdriver or similar. If it sounds hollow (so you get a definite tap tap noise) then the board hasn't been soaked and still has some strength. If you get a dull thud then the board is not in good nick & will likely fail fairly soon.

This is what they appear to have used/will be using - any good? Good enough? The date on the lid worries me as it has a 1yr shelf life. Sorry for all the questions but this job has to be 100% right.

1689062927494.jpeg

1689062995435.jpeg

1689063619824.jpeg

Last edited:
A previous long term girlfriend nearly lost her legs to a badly built shower wall.. The shower tiling had been applied to plasterboard on studding, then grouted. Getting out of the shower one evening she knocked the wall and it collapsed completely in shards not complete tiles; luckily her reactions were extremely good and she leapt out of the shower when she saw the first tile move.
That one occurrence put me off tiles in a shower for life! I much prefer Shower panelling.
Really? She nearly lost her legs? That's all of a bit of exaggeration isn't it?

I believe British Standards now recommend tanking for domestic showers as of 4 years ago. Even before that, it should be cement board with corners taped, and never skimmed before tiling.

In practice, the likelihood of failure depends on many factors, including the power of the shower, the amount it is used, the size of the tiles, the adhesive and grout used, and of course the substrate behind the tiles. But for the relatively low cost of tanking it isn't really worth thinking about it.

TBH this looks like an appalling job first time around and not much better second time.

If they don't understand what is required to make this good I would stop them and seek legal advice.

They are either acting in bad faith or negligent. Either way tell them to sort it properly your you will seek legal advice.

Just a quick update on this....

Thanks for all the advice, the tiles are now back on - no evidence of tanking but at least the tiles are actually stuck to the wall so I guess it should last long enough until we decide to replace ourselves.

Anyway, in the mean time it's come to light that another house on the same road has the same issue, which was only found out as they needed their shower tray replaced, so we can safely assume that none of the 14 houses have been tiled correctly in either of their two bathrooms - and possibly the other hundred or so houses on the develpoment.

Bearing in mind the disgusting way weve been treated by the developers/builders over the past year I'd love to cause them some real consequences for handing over houses in a dangerous condition. Would anyone like NHBC etc be interested in taking action or are they as useless as I keep hearing?

Thanks all,
Ted

It will only fail again.

Seek legal advice as a group.

As someone above has said, tiles coming off when your in the shower is a very bad day/week/month/ potentially life.

The standards are there, they are not hard to comply to.

Would anyone like NHBC etc be interested in taking action or are they as useless as I keep hearing?
Despite what developers would have you believe, NHBC is really more of a warranty that covers a mortgage providers (the real owners) assets and from something that actually affects the property's value eg subsidence or another major defect. They are not there to provide the homeowner with anything meaningful for cosmetic problems and in any case the excess would typically exceed the value of any works required.

I see NHBC is somewhat similar to the third party warranty that 2nd had car dealers sell or bundle in - they frame it as a benefit to you, but since you already have statutory protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 it's really protection for them.

Just a quick update on this....

Thanks for all the advice, the tiles are now back on - no evidence of tanking but at least the tiles are actually stuck to the wall so I guess it should last long enough until we decide to replace ourselves.

Anyway, in the mean time it's come to light that another house on the same road has the same issue, which was only found out as they needed their shower tray replaced, so we can safely assume that none of the 14 houses have been tiled correctly in either of their two bathrooms - and possibly the other hundred or so houses on the develpoment.

Bearing in mind the disgusting way weve been treated by the developers/builders over the past year I'd love to cause them some real consequences for handing over houses in a dangerous condition. Would anyone like NHBC etc be interested in taking action or are they as useless as I keep hearing?

Thanks all,
Ted
No, the NHBC won't be interested as the builder is rectifying the work under their warranty.

I suggest you focus on the problems with your own house and and not try to stir up trouble with the builder by involving other home owners. If you find further problems with your house that you need resolving, you don't want to have generated the reputation as a trouble maker for yourself with the builder that you will be relying on to rectify the faults.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back