Tiles falling off - new build

No, the NHBC won't be interested as the builder is rectifying the work under their warranty.

I suggest you focus on the problems with your own house and and not try to stir up trouble with the builder by involving other home owners. If you find further problems with your house that you need resolving, you don't want to have generated the reputation as a trouble maker for yourself with the builder that you will be relying on to rectify the faults.
Thanks for the reply.

I have since spoken to NHBC and they very much are interested, especially as this issue affects more than one property.

I think I can safely say you have never been in this situation. It's been a constant stream of initial poor workmanship followed by a never ending drip drip of poor quality workers who come in, do a bodge job and often leave new damage. Major problems we've had are first floor flooring having to be taken up three times to 'rectify' structural issues in the sub floor which will never be fully resolved, five large holes cut in the living room ceiling to connect the radiators up properly, heating system wired wrongly so the boiler was running 24/7 and hot water only worked if you had the heating on. (we were told that we should use immersion heater for hot water as gas doesn't heat the water - a complete lie). Sewage smell coming from shower drain that they've tried to fix god knows how many times over the past year and are yet to succeed,

Having lived in the houses for a year, we mostly know each other on the road and of course discuss common issues with our houses - especially things that are not obvious to an untrained eye. That is not stirring up trouble, that's letting people know of a potential serious injury risk in their homes. You might be happy with the thought of quarter of a ton of tiles falling onto you/your children while showering but I'm not.

Ted

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I have since spoken to NHBC and they very much are interested, especially as this issue affects more than one property.

I think I can safely say you have never been in this situation. It's been a constant stream of initial poor workmanship followed by a never ending drip drip of poor quality workers who come in, do a bodge job and often leave new damage. Major problems we've had are first floor flooring having to be taken up three times to 'rectify' structural issues in the sub floor which will never be fully resolved, five large holes cut in the living room ceiling to connect the radiators up properly, heating system wired wrongly so the boiler was running 24/7 and hot water only worked if you had the heating on. (we were told that we should use immersion heater for hot water as gas doesn't heat the water - a complete lie). Sewage smell coming from shower drain that they've tried to fix god knows how many times over the past year and are yet to succeed,

Having lived in the houses for a year, we mostly know each other on the road and of course discuss common issues with our houses - especially things that are not obvious to an untrained eye. That is not stirring up trouble, that's letting people know of a potential serious injury risk in their homes. You might be happy with the thought of quarter of a ton of tiles falling onto you/your children while showering but I'm not.

Ted
I can appreciate your anger, but in my opinion stirring up trouble with other residents is not going to help your situation.

Whilst NHBC might be express concern on the phone, i suspect you'll get little to no action from them whilst the builders as still responding to the issues you've raised.

I genuinely hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction, however you go about it.

Dispute aside, I wouldn’t have much confidence in the work carried out to be perfectly honest, long term anyhow. Would it be feasible space wise with your shower screen etc to install shower panels ? Easy to install, look great, much easier to keep clean as no grout lines, and as long as you install them correctly no water is getting past them. They would just be stuck onto your tiles with grab adhesive, you would lose about 20mm of space. I’ve just put them in our bathroom, just in the shower and much prefer them to tiles for the shower area. At least you have the peace of mind that the tiles won’t fall off again or the substrate fail.

IMG_5501.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5498.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This is what they appear to have used/will be using - any good? Good enough? The date on the lid worries me as it has a 1yr shelf life. Sorry for all the questions but this job has to be 100% right.
The date on the top may be the date of manufacture.

As per the other posts, the corners have not been tanked. Try running your finger over the areas with mould, if it doesn't scratch off you may be OK.

At a minimum, they should have used SBR as a sealant.

You should never use cement based adhesives over gypsum plaster without a sealer. If you do so, you risk the formation of ettringite crystals

BTW, my bread and butter is decorating- please tell me that they haven't painted your shower room ceiling with the tin of Dulux Trade Supermatt in your photo, because if they have I am willing to send you an email explaining why low latex paints should never be used in high humidity areas.

Before doing so, I will contact Dulux and get then to confirm that it is not suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back