tiles for skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the option when I've tiled the floor to have normal skirting put in on top, or I thought, how about a tile skirting using say quarter of a 300mm tile?

What do people think?

Or should I do neither and very carfully tile to the wall and have neither.

(the walls will not be tiled)

Sponsored Links
there are some nice skirting tiles available, i like to use them whenever possible, if the wall isnt tiled.

Well I am using slate on the floor, I was thinking of using these - cutting 'strips' with the wet saw.

Is there something more suitable? Any links?

Sponsored Links
When I tile a floor in say a kitchen or hallway I always suggest skirting with tiles.I think it looks more finished and also is more servicable than normal skirting.
I think if you trim the slate as you said into strips and then round off the top edge with a grinder it will look fine.

Trim a couple up and lean them against the wall to give you an idea of how they will look.

It is done all the time in Spain ..... (and in public toilets!!)

I think i'll see if I have enough left. If I have I will, if not will just use normal skirting.

shall I use a smaller notched trowel and butter the back of the tiles when I'm doing the skirting?

shall I use a smaller notched trowel and butter the back of the tiles when I'm doing the skirting?

if its even use the notch trowel on the wall, id use the same adh that your using on the floor too

yeah, nice and even. Just will be quite a skinny amount of adhesive.

shall I use a small square-notched wall tile float? or the large semi-circular floor one? (or is that what you meant when you said use the same adhesive?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back