Tiles on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have our bathroom renovated and i'm assured the plasterboard wall can be tiled over without a problem. Is that correct?
The wall is subject to mould and damp, which is one of the reasons i need to have the work done in the first place, and i'm jittery that tiling on plasterboard won't help.

Sponsored Links
If it is already getting mould on it, then I assume that after tiling the same will happen, it will just be easier to clean.
I am using Wickes tilebacker board in my bathroom, which is about 10mm thick and is insulated. Not a massive amount of insulation to stop cold and damp, but every little helps. If the walls are cold and getting mouldy, do you have room to put in some extra insulation? Other brands do a range of thicknesses of insulated tilebacker boards.

Maybe rip the plasterboard off and fix insulated backer boards, something like these

https://www.tyneinsulation.co.uk/product/showers/ultra-tile-backer-board/

The mould spread through the old plaster which we had ripped out and some of that plastic wallboard put in. Waterproof it is, but dirt and mould still work their way into the join around the base and the shower tray.
That's why i'm switching to a bath/shower combination with a tiled wall.
The wall behind the plastic was tanked and plasterboard was used to support the whole thing around the shower. I'd like to keep the area intact with a gap for air flow and those tile backerboards look very useful.
Thanks.

After giving the tile backer boards further consideration i came to like the idea of them in the bathroom more and more: a pack of 10 6mm boards costs £85 at Amazon, is claimed to be waterproof, insulating and even suppresses sound. What's not to like about that?
However, after a conversation with the contractor he insists they're not necessary and prefers to use plasterboard as he has done on all his previous renovations. To be fair, i can't find a bad review about his work and his company has an excellent rating so i'm prepared to give him the benefit...but the idea of those backer boards has stuck in my mind so i'll wait til the shower unit is dismantled and check on the plasterboard already installed. If there's no sign of damp or rot, then i'll take his word for it. If there's any sign of a problem then i have a fall back option.

Sponsored Links
My bathroom had tiles on plaster on brick. Even on a 9 inch wall (old external wall) water had penetrated through old tiles to affect the wall in the next room. If grout / tile fails, water will get through. If you have waterproof boards with tanking tape over the joins, you don't need to worry about what will happen if the tiles fail. I've watched a few YT videos of plumbers removing old plasterboard in showers to show rotten timbers in walls and floors. Do it right now then you can forget about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back