Tiles, wood or engineered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like a wood effect for my living room floor, but can't decide on tiles, wood (this is probably the dearest option), or engineered (which obviously looks like the wood). What would you go for and why? What would you avoid? People's thoughts much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Engineered Wood over LVT in all areas other than a wet area like a Bathroom for me.

Why spend all that money on prep and fitting of a cold, hard plastic tile when you could have the insulation, look and feel of real wood?

When looking at the engineered wood, consider if you need a Lacquered, UV Oiled or Oiled finish and which will suit your needs best. Speak to a good independent flooring shop who will happily explains the differences and pros and cons. Personally I would look at a Lacquered or UV Oiled finish over a Oiled or Waxed finish as I woul'nt fancy the extensive upkeep required with pure oiled/waxed floors.

Would need more info to make informed suggestions, if you have dogs then wood floors will be ruined and you need tiles.Are you having underfloor heating ? Lots to consider.

Sponsored Links
No pets, only the child who likes to flip herself about every 5 mins. No underfloor heating (although maybe that would be nice), just a decent radiator. Also I'm not sure how long l am going to stay in this house, maybe another couple of years - I'm therefore now wondering whether it's worth spending the money and get cheaper laminate - let the new person spend the cash??

Lvt I’d say.
Moduleo impress
Harvey Maria
Quickstep Livyn
Project floors

if going engineered look at V4 & Kahrs

No pets, only the child who likes to flip herself about every 5 mins. No underfloor heating (although maybe that would be nice), just a decent radiator. Also I'm not sure how long l am going to stay in this house, maybe another couple of years - I'm therefore now wondering whether it's worth spending the money and get cheaper laminate - let the new person spend the cash??
Tiles can be cheaper than laminate.

what about Karndean? I had this is lounge in previous house, loved it.

I would like a wood effect for my living room floor, but can't decide on tiles, wood (this is probably the dearest option), or engineered (which obviously looks like the wood). What would you go for and why? What would you avoid? People's thoughts much appreciated!

Is the floor concrete? Floorboards? Chipboard?

same price you’ll get for the house.....
couple of years? £15 /mtr medium quality laminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back